The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to disable Cpanel-ModSecurity on in 11.46 in WHM

Discussion in 'Security' started by abdelhost77, Nov 11, 2014.

1. abdelhost77

abdelhost77 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello

this morning after upgrade to 11.46 i choose to enable the new feature : ModSecurity per domain basis .

but now i want to disable it , how should i proceed please ?

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Disabling the ModSecurity Domain Manager in the cPanel interface (for enabling/disabling ModSecurity per-domain) is done through the Feature Manager in WHM where you can enable/disabled other similar features. Again, this only affects whether users see and are able to use the ModSecurity Domain Manager within their cPanel interface. Unless you had explicitly chosen to enable this feature in the Feature Showcase that popped up when upgrading to 11.46, the default configuration for this feature is already "disabled".

To summarize:

1. Go to: WHM
    2. Go to: Feature Manager
    3. Edit the "default" feature list
    4. Uncheck "Mod_Security™ Domain Manager"

3. abdelhost77

abdelhost77 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Thanks for quick feedback ,

yes in fact , i choose " by mistake" to enable it when upgrading to 11.46

i did already deactivated from Cpanel accounts ( by unflagging the Mod-security) in Feature manager .

But how to desintall completely the feature from WHM ?

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When you are presented the Feature Showcase option during the upgrade to enable/disable the ModSecurity Domain Manager, it is not asking you whether to install it or not. It's already installed by the time it asks you what you want to do with it. It's just asking whether you want the feature enabled or disabled for your customers by default.

Regardless what option you choose, the feature is *already* installed by the time you see that choice. You are simply selecting whether it is disabled or enabled. It is always "installed" and is it is not possible to prevent its install or otherwise uninstall it. This is just like any other core feature of cPanel & WHM. As of 11.46, we've introduced the ModSecurity UI as a core feature and no longer install it as a plugin like it has been in 11.44 and earlier. Note that this is just the user interface itself, the mod_security Apache module is still able to be included or excluded from Apache using the EasyApache interface in WHM.