The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to disable new account setup acknowledgement email feature

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by w333, May 7, 2004.

1. w333

w333 Registered

Hi all

When a new account is created in WHM, an email is automatically generated & sent to the primary contact address. This appears to be a new feature in an updated CPanel version.

Can anyone please advise how this feature can be turned off? The new account's password is included in plain text in the email, which is unlikely to be a good idea!

Thanks.

w333

2. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

What email are you talking about exactly? Please post a copy here. I'v never seen it and neither should you.

3. w333

w333 Registered

Hi, mr.wonderful. I was just reading a post by you, by coincidence.

This is the first time we've received such an acknowledgement email. Wonder if it's a new CPanel feature, or as a result of our entering a contact email address in the Create New Account form?

UPDATE: Just tested creating a new account without entering a contact email address in the Create New Account form. Still got the same new account setup acknowledgement email. :(

SENDER: cpanel@xxxxx.xxxxx.com
    SUBJECT: New account on xxxxx.xxxxx.com (xxxxxxxx.com)

+===================================+
    | New Account Info |
    | Domain: xxxxxxxx.com
    | Ip: ###.###.###.### (n)
    | HasCgi: n
    | UserName: xxxxx
    | PassWord: xxxxx
    | CpanelMod: x
    | HomeRoot: /home
    | Quota: 100 Meg
    | NameServer: xxxxx.xxxxx.com
    | Contact Email: xxxxx@xxxxx.com
    Account was setup by: root (root)

#3 w333, May 7, 2004
    Last edited: May 7, 2004
  4. linesybr

linesybr Member

I agree, it is something I would like to shut off too. Or at least modify, it does show the root username for the administrator adding the account which I don't exactly think is the best or most "secure" idea. Hopefully, someone had figured this one out by now.

5. ballisticsa

ballisticsa Member

Yep, Im pretty concerned about this too and REALLY don't want it as a 'feature'.

Please guys, there must be a way to turn this option off. There are more things to consider here then it just showing your server name, the account password and the admin username.

Regards,
    Ballistix

6. linesybr

linesybr Member

Plus if your a reseller its very concearning because the email automatically lists the

server.domainwhereyougettheserviceyouareselling.com

in the subject. All too easy for customers to just go look up that domain and see what they can get hosting for - from your providor?

:eek:

7. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

I think this is a very IMPORTANT feature as you always know what accounts your resellers have set up,
    and I dont know where you guys have been but its been part of cPanel for ages ! :D
    There are absolutly no security risks, as this is send to the root email account ( which is you ) and the individual reseller account who has set up the hosting client !

8. linesybr

linesybr Member

gorilla, thanks for the feedback :)

I think there's some confusion about just what it is we (or I should say "I") find to be a problem. First, lets agree on the food chain and what emails are going where. Here we have the typical scenario:

DATA CENTER (ROOT) >> RESELLER (WHM) >> CLIENT (CPANEL)

gorilla, what your saying is that you like getting the emails kicked back from WHM so that you (at the DATA CENTER) know what's going on right? Ok, that's fine, but where I think the confusion lies is that the Reseller and the Data Center are not the only ones getting the emails. Oh yes, the actual cPanel clients are getting them! Do we want a cPanel user having the WHM username? I wouldn't think so from a security standpoint, yet it lists it at the bottom of the email. Granted they still need the password, but still, its a major security risk.

From MY standpoint as the reseller (not root/DATA CENTER btw), what happens in my typical scenario is that the client will sign up for a hosting package on my website. One of my emails will go out confirming everything from my shopping cart, and another one gets generated to them from WHM/cPanel listing information about my providor, which I don't think in any situation is good for a reseller. Let's say for example, I was a reseller for saaay Yahoo (just for example sake). My client is getting an email from WHM/cPanel that has this in the subject:

Subject: New account on server1.yahoo.com (cpaneldemo.com)

That to me is a major no no. That would be like me going to the car dealership to buy a new car and right in the lobbie, they've got stacks of flyers with directions and contact information to the warehouse.

Just to make things a little more clear, here is an example of an email that gets generated to the client/cPanel user who signs up for service with a reseller. When WHM creates an account the contact email gets this info:

-----Original Message-----
    From: cpanel@resellerdomain.com [mailto:cpanel@resellerdomain.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 4:20 PM
    To: CLIENTFORTHISHOSTINGACCOUNT@MSN.COM
    Subject: New account on server26.colocationdomain.com (cpaneldemo.com)

| New Account Info |
    | Domain: cpaneldemo.com
    | Ip: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (n)
    | HasCgi: y
    | UserName: cpdemo
    | PassWord: cpdemo
    | CpanelMod: x
    | HomeRoot: /home
    | Quota: 1 Meg
    | NameServer: ns1.resellersdns.com
    | Contact Email: CLIENTFORTHISHOSTINGACCOUNT@MSN.COM
    Account was setup by: resellersusername (root)

Now above it says root, but that's the reseller account username. I've bolded the other things I think are important.

Like the NameServer. Well lets just say some hosting clients can get a little confused by this because it only lists one NS. If they are pointing their domain from elsewhere, then what they get from me is one email (above) telling them one of the NS's, and another email listing them both. Now most people posting on this forum should have no problem either way, but to the average Joe Schmoe, it can cause people to flip out a little bit and get all confused...

Ok, now that I feel I've completely spilled my guts out on this issue, I hope I've done some good here and hopefully :confused: given a clear picture of whats happening and why its an issue.

gorilla thanks again, hope my response wasn't seamingly loud... I just really wanted to make sure what was happening is understood so somehow we can get some resolution to either disable, or modify the email. :)

BTW - If it makes a difference because the issue is due to upgrades or something, the version I'm running is::

WHM 9.9.7 cPanel 9.9.8-S6
    RedHat 9 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

#8 linesybr, Nov 12, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  9. gorilla

just installed a test account with reseller and it doesnt look like the client gets the email , even when you do it manually and put a contact email in it ! ;)
    so you really got nothing to worry about :D

WHM 9.9.8 cPanel 9.9.8-R89

#9 gorilla, Nov 12, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  10. linesybr

linesybr Member

gorilla, would you be willing to do me a favor and test my cart to see if you get the email? You don't have to put in anything real and true except the email. Just confirm everything in the order summary screen and then when you get to the send payment via the LOGO part, you can close the window at that point, I can manually go in and process the account creation process. I've been getting the emails running tests (to test email accounts) once the account is created, but maybe its just me.

#10 linesybr, Nov 13, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  11. gorilla

done, and only got an email from 2checkout.
    BTW what billing solution are u using ? Is that the new modernbill ?

12. linesybr

linesybr Member

Hey Gorilla! Thanks so much! Yes the account was created and if anything you helped me figure out that this was:

USER ERROR ~~ USER ERROR ~~

It is in fact going to the WHM contact email so I was getting it and getting confused. Hopefully, if nothing else, I've added some good info for someone else down the road to realize this for testing purposes that the email generated is not going to the client but to the WHM email.

:D

Oh, the billing solution I'm using is PayPal (preferred) and the other is 2checkout (Old system)... At least until I get set up with CDGcommerce. 2checkout is ... alright but they're fees are kind of high on a per transaction basis IMO...

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

:D

13. linesybr

linesybr Member

Oh, duhh, you were talking about the cart...

Glad you like it, I put a lot of effort in to customizing it.. Its Whois.Cart(). :)

#13 linesybr, Nov 13, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2004