The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to disable sending e-mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Rusky, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Rusky

Rusky Member

Hello

Please can someone tell me how to block one domain in the server so it can't send mail throught the server and only to receive?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

2. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Your question does not really make much sense in and of itself without understanding what exactly it is that you are trying to do or what you are thinking exactly when you ask to "disable outbound email for 1 domain" ...

Why ???

3. Rusky

Rusky Member

Hello

I have one domain hosted in my server that belongs to a scientific association.

They are not spammers, but they sent many mails.

I want that they sent the outbound mail using their ISP SMTP server.

Regards.

4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Now that you have explained a bit more, I think I can help ...

Your best bet would be to convert to SuPHP (if you have not already done so) and then setup my "Custom PHP Mod" which would allow you to have an automatic separate and distinct PHP configuration for each account outside of the user's control; This way you could completely disable mail settings for their scripts.

You would also need to completely disable webmail access for their account else they could send out using webmail. You also would not to allow IMAP access as a home client configured for IMAP service would be the same thing as using webmail.

Beyond that might need make a few custom firewall tweaks to finish setting things up if you want to be complete about everything and that's the only real way to limit them on the SMTP connection and relay side.

Bare in mind, if you totally disable outbound mail access for their account, none of their web scripts or programs will be able to send out any email from their web account which might include important things like forum signup confirmations, etc

You could configure the system to direct all outbound mail from their web programs to an outside SMTP server but that would be utterly self defeative and pointless as it is your server that would be listed as the original sending server which I would assume is the whole reason you are even asking about this in the first place.

Now weighing everything, yes it is possible to do what you ask but could do more harm than good when it sounds like the concern may be larger towards the email accounts they have instead of the web scripts they use and if that be the case, my suggestion to you would be to have the client get a 3rd party mail service off of your server for their email accounts. They could still send mail as normal from their scripts but all mailbox email would be handled elsewhere. Google and AOL both offer popular 3rd party mail services in this regard where they can setup email accounts for their user's using their own domain while still using the same domain for web hosting at your server.

5. Rusky

Rusky Member

Hello

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.