The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to disable ssh

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by matt621, Jun 30, 2003.

1. matt621

matt621 Well-Known Member

Again, coming over from another control panel, we had a start and stop on all the functions. I left ssh off until i needed it, then turned it on via the control panel, and when I was done turned it off. Having a prevous box infected has made me cautious. But I can't find anyway to turn off ssh, and I can't even find telenet.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. Admin356

Admin356 Active Member

hmm what do you do if cpanel stops and needs to be restarted?
    Turning ssh off is a bad idea imho - Just restrict access if needed.

3. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree. Just use restrictions based on IP address access..

Brenden

4. matt621

How do you restrict access then?

And can't people spoof IPs?

5. xsenses

xsenses Well-Known Member

You can edit the sshd_config. If you are really paranoid (sounds like you are) restrict it to IP and do not permit root login.

6. matt621

so your answer is to belittle someone who takes security serious

thanks so much. would you mind posting your server's ips. I know of a few newsgroups that love a challenge.

7. casey

casey Well-Known Member

I don't think he was belittling you. Being paranoid is considered a good thing in this business. What he suggested was a serious option.

8. matt621

maybe you missed the part:

paranoid: "irrational fear or distrust of others"

there is nothing irrational about wanting to keep my servers secure and in my and my customers hands only.

#8 matt621, Jul 1, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2003
  9. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Maybe you missed the point?

To use your own example:

paranoid: "irrational fear or distrust of others"

Don't give an example of one definition and leave out the other. You do have a 'distrust of others' and rightly so. Anyone operating a Serve and not having a distrust of others -- trying to gain un-authorized access -- should not be running a Server. So the comments above are on track and valid for any ServerAdmin.

paranoid can also mean: a person afflicted with paranoia

Noun: paranoia
    - a psychological disorder characterized by delusions of persecution or grandeur

As most ServerAdmins are not under any delusions -- any Server connected to the Internet will be; scanned, probed, attacked, with varing amounts of persistence -- being at least 'a little bit paranoid' is considered a good thing. There are some though, who do feel a sense of grandeur in operating a Sever and that can be a problem. ;)

I would suggest you thicken your skin a bit as not all replys to your Forum posts (regardless of what Forum) will be to your liking or nature. That's all part of interacting with others. Text based communication is very blunt and without most of the other physical cues we are used to. Mistakes (in word or thought) are usually not corrected either.

To get back on track with original question:

Do you have physical access to your Server? If not, it makes no sense to disable 'sshd' as turning it off (plus Telnet) leaves you with no way to (SHELL) access the Server without a reboot disk. These two daemons cannot be touched with WHM, BTW.

If you want to disable Telnet:

chkconfig --level 1235 telnet off

Disabling SSH is not good and disabling it is a red herring. Doing things like:

using tcpwrappers
    disable mount permissions for partitions
    removing unnecessary user accounts
    disabling shell access to system accounts which do not need it
    disabling unnecessary services and removing their application if possible
    (this definitely applies to most scripts in cgi-sys -- certainly for all 'formmail' script in there)
    etc.

Lots of good information within this Forum is available, if you willing to take the time to Search and check them out. And your favourite Search Engine can be your best friend when it comes to finding places to learn more about... whatever. Most of us try to make this a good Forum, and hopefully you'll be one of those instead of one who doesn't.

10. xsenses

xsenses Well-Known Member

There was no intent to belittle, maybe I should of used a ;) or :)?

11. trakwebster

trakwebster Well-Known Member

I'd chime in to agree. Although you are correct about the dictionary definition, the comment was helpful and doesn't to my ear read like a slur.

At least, if I were in your shoes, I'd not take it as a slur. Many years ago, I rode a motorcycle. I learned a valuable lesson. I learned how invisible a motorcycle is to folks in cars. I learned a new and paranoid way of looking at driving. That is, to be suspicious at all times when driving because those guys can kill you.

Sure, the dictionary says 'irrational', but that's just where the word came from. And in fact, there are many real-world cases where constant, ongoing, never-forgotten "paranoia" is the height of wisdom!

I say be "paranoid" about driving, server security, and letting other guys near your woman!

12. matt621

The improper use of language does nothing to facilitate communications, ideas or solutions. The use of the word "paranoid" as used above is either factually wrong or a "dig" (insult.) Paranoia is the IRRATIONAL fear and/or distrust. There is nothing irrational about wanting server security.

Look up irrational. It means unfounded. Without merit.

Driving a motorcycle with extreme caution is not irrational because the death rate and dangers are higher than driving a car. Therefore using extreme care is not irrational, and therefore not paranoia.

Just like doing everything possible to secure a server is not irrational. It's not because I think there might be someone out there trying to break it. It's because there ARE many out there trying to break in. The threat is real and fills the log files. It happens every day. One of my best friends is a sysadmin for a major university and he related to me they get 20,000 attacks AN HOUR on some days. I know we get about 5-50 per day. Those are the facts.

13. matt621

Oh, I forgot, here's a few more facts for you.

We had a server successfully hacked 2 years ago. It cost us 12 clients. (they left due to the breach) Our own sites were offline for 24 hours, resulting in a loss of about $300 in profits that day. Additionally we were charged an additional $97 in excess bandwidth that month due to the hack, which sent out millions of spams. All in all, we lost almost $2000 due to just one successful hack. And we are a tiny little company.

Compare that to simply turning off ssh and telnet. If we need it on, I pick up that old fashioned thing, the phone, and ask them to restart the control panel from the command line. In 4 years (using a competitors product) that has happened 1 time.

You secure your servers however you like. I'll do the same with mine.

14. casey

casey Well-Known Member

I don't want to be a pain in the butt, but there is the dictionary use of "paranoid", and then there's the computer guy use of the word. In the computer guy sense, it just means someone who is extremely cautious. It is used as an exaggeration. A quick search of the forums will reveal this. The following threads all have people referring to themselves as being "paranoid".

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9075&highlight=paranoid

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3588&highlight=paranoid

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6356&highlight=paranoid

Anyway, good luck with securing your server. I, too, am very concerned (read paranoid) about people hacking into my server.

#14 casey, Jul 1, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2003
  15. matt621

Thanks for the links. I see what you are saying.

And I agree, there really needs to be "licensee only" forums. Security is one area that the general public does not need to be reading about in public forum. (among others)

At the risk of beating a dead thread, I'll go back to my original point. I think what bothered me in the beginning is that I made a suggestion/asked a question and then instead of getting an answer to the question, I got "Why'd you want to do that?" and "You certainly don't want to do that."

I've got news for you. There are something like 20,000 users of this competitive product that have their SSH and Telnet turned off every day. We only turn it on when we need it. It's just a phone call. Maybe cpanel has some flaws/bugs in it that make the web interface less reliable and you really do need to log in and restart it on a regular basis. (I sure as heck hope this is not the case.)

But to me, to leave telnet and ssh on, is like nailing down the furniture but leaving the front door of your house wide open. Sure, they can still get in thru the windows, but you get rid of a lot of trouble just by locking the doors and taking the keys.

16. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

I wish SSH was the only gateway that you needed to close down to secure your server... :)

Your initial 2 posts suggest that your are slightly "paranoic" (is that a real word? I've just made it up from "bionic" ;))... Go over your questions and you will find out why...

17. Admin356

Admin356 Active Member

You are in far more danger from php scripts than you are having ssh turned on - If you don't allow ssh access to users, have access restricted to certain IP's, have root login disabled, strong passwords, current versions - That,s good enough for me.

An application such as gallery, shoutbox etc on your server can be used to remotely download backdoors, phpshell etc, etc, via visiting one of your clients webpages, and entering a URL - That poses far more of a threat - While I do not take your suggestion lightly, turning ssh off in my opinion isn't a great idea. Have you disabled services, ports not needed? Someone could always upload their own telnet daemon using the methods mentioned.

Do you run php with open_basedir restrictions and register_globals Off?

#17 Admin356, Jul 2, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2003