The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to do restore from another server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seachen, Oct 11, 2010.

1. seachen

seachen Member

hi

i have do a back up from a cpanel user control panel.

the backup file name is backup-10.11.2010_14-59-04_eopes.tar.gz

After that I upload to /home.

Then I go whm do restore. it will show this error.

Is it the backup file need to change ownership?

2. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am seeing the exact same error message when trying to restore an older tar.gz full backup package. Will let you know if I find a solution.

- Scott

3. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

Error is self explanatory. The backup is not complete. You can extract the backup file to see if the cpanel user file is there or not. Or the easiest way would be regenerating the backup and try restoring it.

4. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, dummy me... been running cPanel boxes for about 7 years and this error is anything but self-explanatory for me. In any event, this tar.gz package was from a customer that moved from another company's server that had been shut down, so there was no way to "regenerate the backup". So, I had to get this working as-is.

I did wind up solving this by finding a solution in another thread. I'll explain it in more detail in case anyone finds this in the future and is looking for more of a step-by-step:

Let's say the username for this account we are trying to restore is called 'example'....

• I created a new directory /backups/cpbackup/Dec30 (where Dec30 is today's date), then created a new directory inside that directory called "example" (which is the username of the account), i.e. /backups/cpbackup/Dec30/example

• I copied the tar.gz backup package that I'm trying to restore into the /backups/cpbackup/Dec30/example directory, then extracted it into that directory, using the command "tar -zxvf archive-name.tar.gz"

• I created the account manually via WHM (using the same username) using the Create Account feature.

• I used WHM's Restore Backups feature... it showed me the normal Daily, Weekly and Monthly directories, as well as the new Dec30 directory. I clicked Dec30, and it showed me just one username, "example". I chose "example" and then did a normal restore (do not choose 'recreate account' since you just created it in the previous step)

I hope this helps others that may get this error.

- Scott

#4 sneader, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010