How to encrypt backup copy to Google Drive

darjohn

Aug 30, 2006
Argentina
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello,

I set a backup configuration to send a copy to a Google Drive destination, but when I fill the necesary data, I see a Warning: System Backups contain sensitive security details. You should transfer System Backups over encrypted methods.

All WHM services are protected through ssl certificate, but I don't know if suffice or I need to install a script.

Can somebody help me with this issue?

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider

aloshi2019

Jan 24, 2019
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Hello,

I have the same question regarding Google Drive backup encryption.

While setting up Google Drive Backup I receive the following message "Warning: Only transfer system backup files over encrypted connections."

cPanel states that Google Drive uses encrypted connections? Backup Configuration - Version 74 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Warning:
Only transfer system backup files over encrypted connections. The following destination types use encrypted connections:
  • Amazon S3™
  • SFTP
  • WebDAV with SSL Enabled
  • Google Drive™
Select Additional Local Directory to save data to another local filesystem.
Please advise.

Thank you.

toplisek

Jan 7, 2010
I guess the best practice is not to transfer but you should create the snapshots of the volume due to security concerns. It is outside control of cPanel. It is also useful due to daily backups like WP installations.

aloshi2019

Jan 24, 2019
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Google Drive is encrypted, that warning message isn't there because it isn't, it's just a warning to ensure you're aware that sensitive data like system data should only be transferred that way.
Hello,

Thank you for your response.

Can you please clarify what you mean by the following point
We recommend you use an encrypted transport to move these files. We don't encrypt your connection with google drive though their API though your login is.
Do you mean that the connection from the cPanel server to Google drive is not encrypted?

Please advise.

Thank you again.