The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to exclude urchin stats data from backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff-C, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Jeff-C

Jeff-C Well-Known Member

Is there an easy way to exclude the /home/domain.com/tmp/urchin* directories from the cpanel backup?

2. Jeff-C

Jeff-C Well-Known Member

Anybody???

Urchin reports for one account are 13 GB.

So daily, weekly, monthly backup of the urchin reports takes 39 GB which is taking way too much of my backup drive and nas storage, for something that I really don't need backed up (since I have awstats data for the account anyway which is only 500 MB for the same period.)

I do however definitely need the actual files and everything else of the account backed up.

How can I set/modify/etc. cpanel's backup script to skip the /tmp/urchin directories?

3. sHORTYWZ

sHORTYWZ Well-Known Member

I am also wondering something along these lines - not specifically urchin, but rather specifying individual directories to be excluded from backup.

(edit) also, in regards to urchin - is anyone aware of a script/option to set in order to specify urchin to only hold data for 6months or something along those lines?

#3 sHORTYWZ, Mar 17, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  4. EchoHost

EchoHost Well-Known Member

Anybody ever figure this out?

5. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

thanks for reminding me...

I have checked my stats folder and do see my other stats program taking up lots of space. On analog, I see a file called "cache" that is around 1GB. I am assuming this is temporary file used by analog which is save to remove. Heck...I don't care if it breaks analog as it's only secondary to my urchin reporting.

As for urchin, I installed it such that it is not handled by cpanel. I had it standalone which make it much easier for me to maintain. Actually...I just installed and forget since I am not seeing any problems from urchin.

Since cpanel's way of handling http log is lousy, I had another logs created by apache for urchin only and it is rotated weekly.

Seems to be working fine for a few months now.