The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to explain a problem to someone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beddo, Aug 6, 2008.

1. beddo

beddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi folks,
    One of our clients has their email/dns hosted with ourselves and at the request of their web developer the www. record is pointed elsewhere.
    Our server is running WHM/Cpanel and we have full root access.
    Their server is shared and they only have Cpanel.

They have created a cpanel account and uploaded a website. This website has a PHP form which generates an email. Emails go through to external domains but the actual email address wanted is enquiries@enduserdomain.tld

These mails do not get delivered. As far as I am concerned, this should be a simple fix of making sure that the domain name isn't in /etc/localdomains and putting it in /etc/remotedomains

I emailed the devel company advising this and attempted to contact them on the phone. After three days of phone calls I got through and the chap instantly went on the offensive insisting they hadn't configured any email accounts in cpanel therefore it couldn't possibly be their fault.
    Anyway, it ended in him refused to help any further and I hung up because started making nasty and offensive accusations. For the record, I never claimed it was "their fault" merely that they were the only ones able to rectify the problem by having the above files edited.

So I thought I would ask here because although I am certain my diagnosis of the problem is correct, I would like for other experts in cPanel/WHM to say yes, that sounds about right.

2. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

yep ..welcome to the boat I am in all too often dealing with crappy hosts that don't give a S^%T about a client you share. In the end expose it for what it is with the client. things have a way of working out. We basically have 2 kinds of hosts in todays world. You have the get all we can and sell out and the ones that want to take care of clients like they are humans and enjoy being in the hosting biz for the most part. It sounds like you and I am in the later group and the other hunk of crap you tried to talk to will get bought out by a bigger blob of crap one day and out life even worse becuase of it. Hang in there ..from one that knows all too well :)

3. RobertNikic

RobertNikic Active Member

Hello,

Yes what your saying seems to be correct.
    It is very disappointing that the web host did not assist you.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me.

4. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is why I try to suggest to Developers to find 'good' hosts, and not just throw their clients to 'cheap' hosts. Having a responsible host is great for simple changes like /localdomains vs /remotedomains, or any other simpler server settings.

The issue might also be the PHP form itself. Maybe there is a setting in there that only allows sending to an account on the localhost?

Either way, finger pointing and accusations are never productive. All must work towards a solution, regardless of 'fault'. And, as a host, you always need to remember that designers/developers have a different skill set and might not know things like /localdomains.

Check the egos at the door, work on solutions, and work together using each individual's strength.

Explain to the client your experience with the developer, and openly admit that you can't be sure of the cause since it's not your server, but if it turns out that it is your server, you will take responsibility and fix immediately.

Taking responsibility is rare, and you end up looking like a shiny diamond in a pile of dog crap (the finger pointers).

Shine on, you smelly diamond.