The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to find extension in Joomla! causing high load?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sc00zy, Mar 18, 2008.

1. sc00zy

sc00zy Active Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Assen, The Netherlands
    One of our clients website is causing a high load. It's a Joomla! website with a few extensions installed. When I log in to Putty and use the top command, I see this user a lot using PHP. But how do I find out what part of the site is causing the problem? If I try to read the PHP log it only says index.php... Joomla! urls are shown as index.php?option=com_etc.

I hope someone knows how to deal with this.

Thanks in advance!
  2. darren.nolan

darren.nolan Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2007
    If it's index.php?something-goes-here

It's the core of it - so not a backend system that does backups or something like that.

Apart from making a joke somewhere here about Joomla is horrid for server load (or better said, just normally really slow compared to other CMS systems) - and you should delete the whole thing to fix your problem;

My recommendation would be, if they are using a lot of 3rd party extentions/modules in there - remove them one by one, browse the website and continue to monitor TOP for clues.

Alternatively - you could add a quick module for joomla (or maybe enable it in it's global options) to print how long it took to generate the page you just loaded. If you see one page out of all the site's pages which seemed to be much bigger than normal - you'll know it's a module on that page alone.

Good luck.