How to find out if i have a firewall installed

Graphilip

Mar 30, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello guys,

ok, i know this question sounds noobie-ish but this is what i would like to know.

Here is the thing.. I own an unmanaged VPS (which means no tech support for me) and since a few days i had some issues with my website. Looking for solutions, i found out it was because of outdated openssl. I tried to upgrade but no luck. Looking for solutions again, found out it was a DNS problem, due (at least some one with knoledge said) and i quote

"That looks like you have a firewall in front of the box that is artificially capping the size of UDP DNS responses. Got a Cisco firewall? If so then it needs to be told to allow packets > 512 bytes through, for example, form my old ASA 5505 I had"

The thing is as far as i know i dont have any firewall installed and i get no support from my provider so its on me to deal with this.

I have CENTOS 6.7 x86_64 xenpv – uvps WHM 11.52.2 (build 1)

If anyone have any advice it would be very much appreciated

Thank you in advance

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
since a few days i had some issues with my website. Looking for solutions, i found out it was because of outdated openssl. I tried to upgrade but no luck. Looking for solutions again, found out it was a DNS problem
OpenSSL is provided by your operating system. You can check your domain for dns issues with a site like, intodns.com for example,

What is the actual problem you're trying to resolve?

Graphilip

Mar 30, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
OpenSSL is provided by your operating system. You can check your domain for dns issues with a site like, intodns.com for example,

What is the actual problem you're trying to resolve?
Thank you for your reply, yes i know it is provided but... i cannot install anything, all i get is Couldn't resolve host 'mirrorlist.centos.org' errors.

Maybe you understand more from this post (i apologise in advance if external links are a problem)

Graphilip

Mar 30, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Did it right now. Unfortunately it is how it is:

"...when it comes to unmanaged VPS plans, we are unable to troubleshoot issues due to lack access to the server.
If you are finding difficult to manage the server I highly recommend you to consider a managed plan"

And that was that... The thing that bothers me is that everyone i talked to and let them take a look, told me everything seems ok on my end and most likely is on the proviers end.

So im guessing there is no way to bypass this somehow?

dalem

PartnerNOC
Oct 24, 2003
SLC
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
If your provider has a hardware firewall in front of your server only they would know that and only they can make adjustments.
Its pretty uncommon that they would have a firewall for an unmanaged VPS

Reactions: Infopro