SOLVED How to fix preflight checks failure?

Bert de Jong

Jan 23, 2018
Netherlands
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
What does this mean, and how do I fix it?

The system failed to acquire a signed certificate from the cPanel Store because of the following error: Neither HTTP nor DNS DCV preflight checks succeeded!

I cannot find any information via Google.

Thanks,

quanin

Aug 18, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Sounds like the CPanel store might be having temporary SSL issues. Try again a bit later, perhaps? If I need to, I can spin up a VPS to test from in case it's a more wide-spread thing.

Bert de Jong

Jan 23, 2018
Netherlands
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
In case someone finds this thread after searching for the error message, According to my VPS provider the error is related to the certificate generated for the server itself. This is auto-generated, even without the admin's request, and this is also why no information is available in the Logs of WHM's "Manage AutoSSL" section. The error is caused by a mismatch between the server's cPanel (sub)domain and/or (reverse?) DNS and/or hostname. Manually looking at the log file will give more information. According to my VPS provider, it should be okay to just ignore the error.

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
The error is caused by a mismatch between the server's cPanel (sub)domain and/or (reverse?) DNS and/or hostname. Manually looking at the log file will give more information. According to my VPS provider, it should be okay to just ignore the error.
Hello @Bert de Jong,

If you're referring to the SSL certificate for the server's hostname, you can run the following command to verify if it continues to fail:

Code:
/usr/local/cpanel/bin/checkallsslcerts
Let us know if any issues persist.

Thank you.

paulapatrice

Aug 10, 2017
NYC
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Was this resolved or was the warning ignored?

I explored this similar thread but AutoSSL is issuing successfully for cPanel users' domains, the error seems unrelated to user domains.

------------
/usr/local/cpanel/bin/checkallsslcerts

[WARN] The system failed to acquire a signed certificate from the cPanel Store because of the following error: Neither HTTP nor DNS DCV preflight checks succeeded!

The system will check for the certificate for the “dovecot” service.
The system will attempt to replace the self-signed certificate for the “dovecot” service with a signed certificate from the cPanel Store.
The system will attempt to install a certificate for the “dovecot” service from the system ssl storage.
None of the certificates in the system ssl storage were acceptable to use for the “dovecot” service.
The system will check for the certificate for the “exim” service.
The system will attempt to replace the self-signed certificate for the “exim” service with a signed certificate from the cPanel Store.
The system will attempt to install a certificate for the “exim” service from the system ssl storage.
None of the certificates in the system ssl storage were acceptable to use for the “exim” service.
The system will check for the certificate for the “ftp” service.
The system will attempt to replace the self-signed certificate for the “ftp” service with a signed certificate from the cPanel Store.
The system will attempt to install a certificate for the “ftp” service from the system ssl storage.
None of the certificates in the system ssl storage were acceptable to use for the “ftp” service.

Opened ticket #13069213

UPDATE / RESOLVED

The default hostname assigned by the VPS host did not resolve to an IP address and therefore the SSL couldn't verify it. Solution was to create a custom qualified domain name (like sub.domainname.com) and point it to the VPS primary IP, then in WHM change the hostname on the VPS to the new custom name. After doing so cPanel automatically issued and assigned a free SSL to the new hostname.

It sounded complicated but it wasn't. Took 15 minutes, cPanel software handled all the changes flawlessly and shazaam it was fixed.

Instructions to change the hostname here: Change Hostname - Version 82 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Last edited: