The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to force Tomcat install along with mod_ruid2

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by yannisc, Jul 16, 2013.

1. yannisc

yannisc Member

The latest version of EasyApache prohibits you from installing mod_ruid2 along with Tomcat. I had this setup though in 5-6 of my servers for a lot of months without any (noticeable) problem.

Is there any way to force this kind of configuration? If not, how could I install Tomcat manually?

The reason I want this, is that I haven't found any other setup that performs with the speed of the combination mod_ruid2, DSO, APC.

Thanks for any help!

#1 yannisc, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  2. cPanelKurtN

cPanelKurtN Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi yannisc,

mod_ruid2 and many Apache modules are incompatible with each other because of the way mod_ruid2 handles mutexes. In the case of Tomcat, mod_jk is used to help Apache talk to Tomcat. However, when both are enabled, jsp files are not processed correctly and you'll get an error like the following in your Apache error_log:

Code:
    [Wed Jun 05 09:36:55 2013] [error] (13)Permission denied: apr_global_mutex_lock(jk_log_lock) failed
    [Wed Jun 05 09:36:55 2013] [error] (13)Permission denied: apr_global_mutex_unlock(jk_log_lock) failed
    Finally, EasyApache doesn't provide a way to "force" modules to be on at this time. You could conceivably make a custom OptMod out of it (be sure to change the namespace from Cpanel::Easy::ModRuid2 to Cpanel::Easy::WhateverYouLikeHere), but that of course wouldn't resolve the Mutex problems.

#2 cPanelKurtN, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  3. yannisc

yannisc Member

Thanks Kurt!

I had Tomcat installed because I needed to run Solr server. Even after I compiled apache without Tomcat, I see that Solr is working! How is that possible?

4. mediagenerator

Hi,

@Kurt
    I have the same problem. Is there any other way to run a Solr server on a cPanel box in combination with mod_ruid2? Any ideas? I don't need any JSP processing on user accounts/user webroots, Tomcat will only handle Solr indexing. So technically, Apache could be compiled without mod_jk and Tomcat simply listens on the main IP.

Can you explain a bit more in-depth as to how one can force Tomcat7 to be installed with mod_ruid2?

Or am I better off installing Tomcat via yum, overriding yum ignores..?

Any suggestions?

Thank you. :)

5. yannisc

yannisc Member

mediagenerator, I see that solr run even withour tomcat installed! So I have mod_ruid2 and solr running without any problem.