The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to forward all non created accounts to a parking page?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fowen, Jun 2, 2007.

1. fowen

fowen Member

Right now (I believe) any accounts not created on my box will just return a 404 message. Would it be possible to forward any accounts not setup on our server (but pointed to our DNS server) will point to a "Domain is not setup" page?

2. eNetHosts

eNetHosts Well-Known Member

If you haven't got accounts created on your server then when people type it in to their address bar, the browser won't even take them to your server.

The only reason this would happen is if someone for some reason pointed their domain via their domain registrar to some of your name servers in which case your server would display the default Apache cPanel page usually.

If however you are talking about accounts which do and don't have websites on their accounts - If you are received 404 you either having an error or their directory privilleges are set to not list directories for security by default.

If you wish to sort that out all you need to do is upload an inded.html or index.php etc file into the cpanel-skel3 directory on your account and any new accounts created from there will display the page you put in your skel3 directory.

Whether it be, no website has been setup yet or coming soon etc

3. fowen

fowen Member

I realize if someone doesn't have their domain pointed to my NS then there is no way to have it show a "Parked" page. Now for some reason when someone points a NS record to my name servers it will not come up with any page at all. IE: w0s.net

4. eNetHosts

w0s.net

ns1.contrasthost.com[75.126.35.78], was resolved to IP address
    ns2.contrasthost.com[75.126.35.75], was resolved to IP address
    Domain has 2 DNS server(s)

DNS server ns1.contrasthost.com[75.126.35.78] is alive and authoritative for domain w0s.net
    DNS server ns2.contrasthost.com[75.126.35.75] is alive and authoritative for domain w0s.net

The servers have the same zone version 2006102716

The Problem

NS list mismatch: registration authority reports that domain is hosted on the following servers: 'ns1.contrasthost.com; ns2.contrasthost.com', but DNS server ns1.contrasthost.com reports domain to be hosted on 'ns1.contrasthost.com; ns2.contrasthost.com; ns3.contrasthost.com'. Please make sure that you configure the same DNS servers in registrar database and on your DNS

Error connecting to HTTP server www.w0s.net [209.124.81.50] port 80 : timed out waiting for connection

The record on your WHM DNS by the looks of it are incorrectly inputted.

5. fowen

fowen Member

What about now? It looks like the domain (w0s.net) already had a DNS record. I have deleted it but I still get a 404.

6. eNetHosts

A check confirms that you have deleted the account from your WHM:

ns1.contrasthost.com[75.126.35.78], was resolved to IP address
    ns2.contrasthost.com[75.126.35.75], was resolved to IP address

ns1.contrasthost.com[75.126.35.78] is alive, but not authoritative for domain 'w0s.net' and didn't return SOA
    ns2.contrasthost.com[75.126.35.75] is alive, but not authoritative for domain 'w0s.net' and didn't return SOA

Try recreating the account for w0s.net in your WHM. If it doesn't work you'll probably need to edit your name server records within the WHM. If you don't know how to do this, we can take a look for you.

7. fowen

fowen Member

This is what I am trying to acomplish.

When someone sets the name servers to my name servers but doesn't yet have a account installed on one of my servers, it will return a "Parked" page instead of just timing out.

Is what I am trying to do impossible?

8. eNetHosts

Do you get a browser time out error?

or

A Webserver style 404 error page?

9. fowen

fowen Member

It appears to timeout and then google searches for the domain name.

10. eNetHosts

In that case, yes you are wanting the impossible.

The only way you could showed a parked page would be to add the domain into the WHM and have the account with a parked page style index file in the public_html dir or the alternative is to park the domains on top of contrasthost.com and redirect them to a parked page until you create the account in the WHM. Either way you'd have to have the domain name on your server somewhere.

Once DNS has propagated fully either of them will work.