The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to ftp website

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lonestarusa, Jul 7, 2004.

1. lonestarusa

lonestarusa Registered

Hi all. I have been using cpanel for some time and use freeftp to upload websites. I recently started with another host and everything goes ok untill I try to login using freeftp or any othere ftp program. If the dns is resolved to the site I have setup I can login, but if it's an account I just created I can't login. I am using the I.P., my site username and password. It works on my other companies cpanel, but not the new company. So I can't setup any new sites until the dns is resolved, which would mean downtime toi my customers I try to switch to the new servers.

Please help.

Jeff

2. akhthar

akhthar Member

hello,

You can login to ftp with the IP , username and password. If you can't just verify your username and password. Try ftp from the command line.
    ftp <ip-address>
    username
    password.
    If you still have the same login problem, can u tell what is the error you are getting. sio that ew can go forward.

3. lonestarusa

lonestarusa Registered

Hello akhthar

Thank you for responding. If you notice I already used the IP address, username and password. The problem is fixed now. We just figured it out. For anyone else that is having the same problem, we are using Suse with 2.6 kernel. Cpanel deifinately was designed for Redhat. When a site was created the directories were being created at improper locations. When we copied them to the correct locations we could login using ftp. When the site already had the DNS changed from a previous location to the new server it worked fine using the www.sitename.com. After the configuration fiels were modified to work with Suse the problem was solved.

Thank for taking the time to respond.
    And thank you Brad for fixing it.

Jeff