The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Get Account Back into WHM After OS Reload?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by bduhamel, Jul 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bduhamel

bduhamel Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello all. I have a problem here. I am running CentOS 6.0 Minimal VSI on a cloud server at Softlayer running a Wordpress website (latest version of WP, latest version of Genesis framework), MySQL 5.6, etc. and I was forced to do an OS Reload with data preservation because MySQL started going nuts on me and giving lots of PID errors and database connection errors in Wordpress. Long story short, after the reload, I did an rysync of the preserved data back to the primary volume. Now, my Wordpress account was actually on a external volume and mounted at /home2, which is where I have WHM set to point, but it is not finding my account, although I did rsync the /var directory back as well. Now, I am wondering how I can get the account back into WHM? It should be in this directory /home2/bluray. Someone actually said to me to create an account under a new name in WHM then set it to point to /home2/bluray, but I don't even see a way to do this in WHM. Am I missing something? And, yes, this external volume is actually automounting on startup, so that is definitely not the issue either.
    Thanks for any help! :)

2. bduhamel

bduhamel Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry to replay to my own question, but I was wondering if this may work. What if I created a new account in WHM under a new name, then deleted the files in that new directory, manually copied over the files from my old account into the new directory, then changed the name back to the old account name in WHM and did a server reboot? Would I get my account back into WHM and my website, emails, etc. back up and running properly?

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Please keep in mind the method you are using to restore the account is unsupported. The supported method of restoring an account is to restore it from a backup archive generated through cPanel/WHM. That said, you may find the following thread helpful when attempting to manually restore account data:

Move cPanel account manually without taking full backup

Thank you.