How to get email notification when kernel update is ready?

WorkinOnIt

Aug 3, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi

I would like to receive an email notification when a cpanel server needs a restart due to kernel update available?

How can I enable that?

Thanks

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Security Advisor will tell you when there is a kernel update available so I believe changing the priority whatever you have set to email for on the WHM>>Server Contacts>>Contact Manager -> Security Advisor State Change would facilitate this for you.

WorkinOnIt

Aug 3, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Security Advisor State Change
Hi thanks for the reply. I do have that assigned to High and Email and in Communication Type, for email I have my email - but I don't seem to receive any notification email for that.

I do receive all the other system emails though - and looking back through previous emails, it appears that I did in fact use to receive these "New Security Advisor notifications with High importance " emails - but that was over a year ago.... so what could have happened to prevent these from being sent ?

Could this be a bug ? Or is there another notification setting to enable.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
I'm not sure, it could be but we'd need to investigate further in order to determine that. The security advisor notification is for in the event there is a state change and I'm thinking it's not seeing that change. To do this though I'd need you to open a ticket as it's not something so easily done over the forums.

I know the process that tells you whether or not your system needs to be restarted though /bin/needs-restarting you could set up a cron to run daily or weekly that would email you the output in the meantime

WorkinOnIt

Aug 3, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The issue is happening across all of our servers, so there must be either something on all of the servers that has been implemented on our side to stop these, or perhaps there is some bug in a recent release.

I can see that someone else had the same issue. Can you suggest the specific cron tab command to use to set up the notifications ?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
The root crontab would be the only one that would work for this. You could also use the same script the person in the ticket used.

I agree that there is most likely an issue and like I said before you'd need to open a ticket to have it looked into.