The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to give addon domain unique IP address for SSL?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by electric, Dec 9, 2012.

1. electric

electric Well-Known Member

We have a customer who has a cpanel account with several addon domains. They want to use SSL for each of their addon domains. (Different cert for each addon.)

How can we do this? The WHM only allows change of IP for a cpanel account, but not individual addon domains within it.

If we manually modify the apache conf file directly to assign a dedicated IP to the addon, will that get messed up later by anything in cpanel?

Thanks!

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    By default, if you manually edit httpd.conf, it can [and likely will] get overwritten down the road, removing the changes that you had made.

But if you follow the directions at the top of the httpd.conf file, you may be able to have your changes persist.

What you are wanting to do sounds "doable", but I'm sure it's not a supported method by cPanel. cPanel accounts are designed to have one IP and only one IP associated with them.

I guess I were going to try what you were doing I would:

a. set the IP address to Reserved in WHM so that cPanel doesn't try to give it to another account down the road
    b. make the necessary changes you feel are necessary to bind a new IP address to an existing addon domain
    c. run your changes through the distilling process

Ideally, that customer (with several addon domains) should be a reseller, who can then have their own individual accounts, each with it's own IP address. You charge more to your customer for the reseller package, for the static IPs, and allow them as reseller to assign a static IP to a site if they want for the purposes of having an SSL certificate [or for whatever reason]. Or, you would simply give your customer a couple additional accounts and help your customer migrate their existing addon domains out from under their main account into individual new accounts that you give them for the purposes of handling ssl.

That's my take on it. I'm no expert :)

M

3. electric

I agree with you about the proper way to do it... but in this case it isn't possible.

The customer has one cpanel account and multiple addon domain inside it. They did this on purpose because they have some special software that uses a single database, but can run on multiple domains. So now they want to put SSL for each of the domains.

If we put them on individual cpanel accounts, then they can't share the same database as easily, etc...

4. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. electric

Yes, it does.

Thanks!

6. tank

tank Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have submitted a ticket about his to WHM, and was told this was an apache limitation. Interesting to learn something new today. Surprised that WHM has not figured out a better solution.

7. electric

I can confirm that the steps outlined in the link work correctly. We just configured an addon account to have a dedicated IP, and then installed an ssl cert for it. The "parent" cpanel account has a different dedicated IP, and has a different ssl cert installed for it.

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/ssl-addon-domain-309312.html

8. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Did you check in
    WHM-> IP Functions-> Show IP Address Usage
    and
    WHM-> IP Functions-> Show/Edit Reserver IPs