The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to hook into precpbackup and postcpbackup under the new Backup system

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by santrix, Jun 12, 2013.

1. santrix

santrix Well-Known Member

Hi,

We use autofs to mount an NFS share to a central backup device. We use postcpbackup and precpbackup to carry out post backup checks and to ensure the NFS share is mounted correctly before backups commence.

I have read this post:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/force-backup-run-using-new-11-38-system-343821-p2.html

But it is anything but clear how to define/create the required hooks in the first place. I understand this area is still being documented, but in the meantime, could anyone provide a quick boilerplate how-to, in principle, to run a perl script pre and post backup, and if there is a more elegant way of killing the backup via the pre script than simply hunting down a process ID and killing it.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

An introduction and general overview of the hooks system itself can be found at:

Hooks - Getting Started

I will keep an eye out on our documentation and update this thread when more information on the System::Backup event is available.

Thank you.

3. santrix

santrix Well-Known Member

Thanks, I look forward to reading it. Do you have any estimate of when cPanel will drop support for the Legacy backup system?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There is currently no specific time frame available on when legacy backups will be discontinued. It will not be removed without adequate notice.

Thank you.