The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to host a domain with no name servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ahevans, Aug 24, 2008.

1. ahevans

ahevans Member

hi, I have a situation where I have a domain name registered but the registrar doesn't provide name servers. I have name servers on my virtual box but if I specified these in the registrar's configuration for the domain, if I try accessing the domain name I get a "can not be found" error in my web browser.

All other domains I have configured have name servers that belong to the registrar and then points to my servers. Is the problem that the registrar doesn't provide name servers, or is it something else that I can correct?

Thanks

2. luvz2drv

luvz2drv Member

try this

You need name servers for your DNS to work.

If they do not provide a web based tool open a ticket with them and ask them to set the domain to your nameservers or via phone support.

Any place that doesn't allow me to control that stuff i would transfer my stuff out

3. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

If you have nameservers setup on your box, you should be able to add those into your registrar control panel for your domain name. Once done, make sure that you have the dns settings added to your domain name's configuration on your box.

If you are still getting a page error, check out this site for handy troubleshooting of your dns issues:

http://intodns.com

Just put your domain name in, and see what the results say.

4. ahevans

ahevans Member

hi,

I have updated the registrars records to reference my name servers on my box. Apparently the registrar charges extra for access to name servers, something that will be considered when the domain is up for renewal.

The interesting thing is that when I check the DNS via the link provided above I am told that I have no 'A' records for my name servers which I am guessing is because no other name servers hold records for my name servers?is it possible I don't have my name servers setup correctly?

Thank you very much

5. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

You need to add an 'A' record for your name servers into the domain name in question:

ns1 14400 IN A xx.xx.xx.xx
    ns2 14400 IN A xx.xx.xx.xx

Where the X's are the ips for the name servers.

6. ahevans

ahevans Member

sorted, thanks