The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to host multiple user sites on 1 domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by krondorian, Aug 12, 2002.

1. krondorian

krondorian Registered

Dear fellow WHMers',

I just started a hosting company but realise that I have not fully studied WHM tactics. Appreciate your advises on the following matter.

My company offers both virtual and IP-based plans.

I have no problems setting up accounts for people with their own domain name.

But for those without, I am offering them my own top-level names for use. But I want to set them up as :

http://www.mytopleveldomain.com/theirusername

They should have their own CPanel , FTP accounts and their own folders which other users on the same domain cannot access.

Ideal situation is to host like 50-100 accounts on my TLD like cooldomains.net.

Can anyone take me through the steps to do this?

Thanks

2. SHSaeed

SHSaeed Well-Known Member

As far as I know, you can not create a separate account using a sub directory of a domain (i.e. yourdomain.com/user/). However, you can create separate accounts using subdomains of your domain (i.e. user.yourdomain.com). To do this, simply type in the sub.domain.com in the domain box when creating a new account.

3. krondorian

krondorian Registered

Thanks! So what you are saying is...

I can only host for clients who have their own domain names?

And for those without, I need to set them up as subdomains, in which case their url will be theirsubdomain.mydomain.com. And they will have a seperate private folder so they cannot access my domain files?

What about virtual hosting? How do I do that? My WHM does not seem to be able to create accounts if i checked the IP check box on the account creation page.

Sorry for all these questions. I need to iron out my queries to avoid customer hiccups.

Paul

4. MikeMc

MikeMc Well-Known Member

For users that don't have their own domain, just create a new account and as domain write www.user.yourdomain.com . Don't select the ip. And yes in this case the users will have everything that a normal account has...their cp..folders..mysqls..mail..etc.

If your WHM doesn't let you create accounts when ip is selected...or there is some kind of error or you don't have any ip available...but maybe I'm wrong.