The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To: Install & Setup Active Spam Killer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haze, Jul 11, 2003.

1. haze

haze Well-Known Member

I was told about a nice piece of software that I think all of us can use. Its called Active Spam Killer or ASK for short. Its been a god send for me.. from 20 - 50 spam emails per day to ZERO. For information on what the script is, have a look on their web site. http://www.paganini.net/ask

The install is fairly straight forward but its a little bit different on a cpanel box. Only problem is that I can only figure out how to install it on one single pop3 account per user.. i've tried and tried, so if anyone else figures it out, do let us know! I've also posted in the sourceforge forums to see if anyone else has figured it out: https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=896962&forum_id=138053

Before I start, just know that I am not responsible for this messing up your system, etc, etc, etc. Use at your own risk! You may want to run this first on a test account!

You first need to have python 2.2 installed. It comes with cPanel 7 ( if you have the latest mailman, you've got it! )

Now, log into your server as root, and download the latest RPM which can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=42266

Wget it to wherever you wget it to and install it:

rpm -ivh ask-X.XX-X.noarch.rpm

Now that that's done, log in as to ssh with the user you want to set this up under and in your /home/username dir run "asksetup.py". This will copy all the necessary files to your folder ( will be hidden ). Type ls -al and make sure there is a .ask folder and a .askrc file. If you had errors running the above command, you might want to check out whatever was causing that.

Now, for the email address you want to use, download any email that might be left on the server, because its going bye bye. next delete the account and create a forward in cpanel for the same email address and point it to blah@blah.com ( or whatever ). Then create a new pop3 account that you want to recieve these emails at, it can be whatever you want. For this how to we will use ask1@domain.com for the forward and ask2@domain.com for the pop3. Now, back in SSH as the user pico ( or whatever editor ) your /etc/valiases/domain.com file ( replace domain.com with your domain ) look for your new forward and replace blah@blah.com with:

ask1@domain.com: |/usr/bin/ask.py --loglevel=5 --logfile=/home/username/ask.log --home=/home/username

The entry above is all ONE line!

Save and exit.

now edit the config file .askrc which has everything explained for you, though it seems a little out of date.

First stop is to scroll down to "rc_mymails" replace the first email with the forwarder ie. ask1@domain.com, and the second with with the pop3 email address you created.

Next is "rc_myfullname", which is self explanitory.

Then we come to "rc_mymailbox". /var/spool/mail/username didn't work for me so I had to use the following:
    /home/username/mail/domain.com/ask2/inbox

The rest of the config is self explanitory, i've commented out "rc_basic_headers" so that it uses the default headers, you may want to do the same. Oh, i also changed "rc_confirm_langs" & "rc_blacklist_langs" to only support en ( english ).

Now, set up your new pop3 account in outlook or whatever email client you use. In the config for the client, i've told it the address is ask1@domain.com and the same for the reply-to address, you will want to do the same. You don't want to give out your ask2@domain.com to anyone.. absolutely, not even Santa OR his deer! ( I SAID NO! ). Set up a signiature and make sure you have whatever you set up as your "rc_mailkey". Make sure the signiature goes out with EVERY EMAIL!

Now send yourself an email to ask1@domain.com with the subject ask help, leaving everything else blank. This will should send you back an email with ways in which to check your queue, edit your whitelist, blacklist and ignore list. Send yourself an email from another address and you should get an auto responder asking you to respond to it, once you do that email address becomes whitelisted, which allows email to flow through without a problem.

I believe thats it kids! Enjoy your spam free email! Also check out the docs & faq at the ASK web site for information on uses, etc.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

#1 haze, Jul 11, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2003
  2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. fizz

fizz Well-Known Member

check it, i replied with fix for your problem

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

I figured out how to set up more than one user:

you would first run the installer, then copy all the files to say /home/username/ask1/

Then in the .askrc set everything up as normal, BUT when you get the the rc_askdir, replace ${home} with the full path, i.e. /home/user/ask1/.ask

i've tried to cd to the /ask1 dir then run the installer but it still installs all the files to /home/user

You do the same for all other users. For example, /home/user/ask2 and so on.