yes trillian is a bit tricky... took me a while to get it right.
Using the trillian registered version (free version is basically the same)
1) Open Trillian
2) Right click on the grey circle
3) click on connection manager.
4) Click on add account.
5) Scroll down to EFnet and choose the connection closest to you.
6) Fill in your nick, etc.
7) Click on the Perform buffer tab and check the check box. Then type in: /join #cpanel
8) click on Create and Connect.
*** Connecting to port 6660 of server ircd.lagged.org
*** *** Looking up your hostname...
*** *** Checking Ident
*** *** Found your hostname
*** *** Got Ident response
*** Closing Link: networkol[#[email protected]] (You are not authorized to use this server)
*** Disconnected from ircd.lagged.org.