The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to junk junk mail?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by stefanmain, Feb 24, 2011.

1. stefanmain

stefanmain Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I recall seeing at cPanel a utility that allowed me to instruct cPanel to dump into deep space all email messages received by my account but NOT addressed to one of the email accounts I specifically created at cPanel>Mail>Email Accounts. Now that I want to use that utility, I cannot find it ... although it is probably staring me right in the face! Thank you.

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Unless I am misunderstanding, clicking Default Address in your account's cPanel, then clicking Advanced Options and selecting Discard will do what you want. This will discard without any sort of notification all messages sent to any user that does not exist as a mailbox on your domain.

The following section of our documentation explains the options available for the Default Address setting:

Default Address

3. stefanmain

stefanmain Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Maybe I am misunderstanding. As far as I know, I have not "set up" a "default address" for my account. That is, at cPanel>Mail>Email Accounts, all that are listed are the few accounts I created. In that case, what happens to mail which is addressed to an invalid address (that is, an address that is not among the email accounts I specifically did set up)? Where does it go? Perhaps it is already being dumped, in which case, problem solved. Or is there a pre-existing "default address" (like myaccount@myaccount.com), to which mailbox such trash is going and going and going? Thank you again.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can find out where the default address is going by looking at cPanel > Default Address area as Jared previously mentioned. The default behavior for the machine will be dependent on what your host has selected, so the best way to know how it is already setup and to change it would be just to go to cPanel > Default Address (not Email Accounts) area to view the settings.

5. stefanmain

stefanmain Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am evidently doing something wrong, or at least looking in the wrong place. When I log into cPanel, I see along the left side, "Find", "Frequently Accessed Areas", and "Stats". The rest of the screen consists of areas labeled: OLM Essentials (OLM is my server), Preferences, Mail, Files, Logs, Security, Domains, Databases, Software/Services, Advanced. (At Stats, the cPanel version is 11.28.83.) Nowhere on the screen do I find "Default Address". When I enter "Default Address" at Find, the response is "no matches". I apologize for what I suspect is a simple mistake, but what can I say except "thanks for your continued help"!

6. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The Default Address icon is in the Mail section of cPanel:

[​IMG]

Clicking the icon will load the following page:

[​IMG]

If you do not see the Default Address icon, it means the server administrator has disabled it for the feature list that applies to your account's hosting package. If that is the case, and you do not have access to the WebHost Manager, you need to ask your host for assistance.

7. stefanmain

stefanmain Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    It is not there. As you suggest, I will contact the server. Thank you for your help.