The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to let account read other accounts files?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darren0610, Sep 20, 2010.

1. darren0610

darren0610 Member

I am setting up a multi-site/multi-store Magento installation, and I want each site to have its own cPanel account so I can setup the SSL and dedicated IP properly. I have tried to create a linux group called 'magento' and changed the files I need to share to that group (even added the users to that group), however when I try to access files through my scripts on those accounts it doesn't acknowledge the files exist. I first made a soft symbolic link which didn't work and then including them to their real location but it didn't work. Am I missing a step in allowing which users can access which files? I added the users to the magento group and like I said changed the group of the files I need to share to them but it's still not working.

Thanks, Darren

2. darren0610

darren0610 Member

Help! Can't share files between accounts because of group 'nobody'!

I need to share some files between user accounts. I have tried adding the user nobody to the group I made and changing the public_html folder to the new group but it isn't accessible publically when I do that. Is there no way to share files between cPanel users from multiple accounts? I need to share the files for my ecommerce solution. Does anyone know? Can someone at least help me? If we cannot get this to work I will be forced to switch to a different control panel provider. Please help!

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I've merged both of your threads into one as they seem to be the concerning the same topic.

That won't change the situation though.

Doing what you want to do depends on several things, running a magento installation, adds to that list, IMO.

But for starters, theres this:

WHM > Security Center > PHP open_basedir Tweak

Please read up on this and understand what you're doing of course:

PHP's open_basedir protection prevents users from opening files outside of their home directory with php.

HTH! :)