The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to let users change their own passwords?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nietzsche, Feb 29, 2004.

1. nietzsche

nietzsche Registered

Right.

Here's what I've decided I'd like to do: I'd like to give users jailshell access to the box.

Now, I have WHM/root access on the box itself, but I'm now talking about each individual "subscriber" to the box - we'll call my current focus abc.net.

I've added users from abc.net into the box as users, and given them the shell of /usr/local/cpanel/bin/jailshell - which puts up jailshell-2.05b for the users. This is fine and dandy ... EXCEPT when giving a command of passwd. I've posted in another thread about that, so I'll not go into it here.

So I then decided that maybe usermin is the way to go ... this way, users will be able to come in and change their password(s) as they see fit .. but usermin is not integrating with the email (virtual POP account) options given via the box (squirrelmail, horde, and neomail).

I'm reasonably sure I have a handle on the what part of "what's going on?" ... but I'm unsure of how to rectify this ...

PS: Given that each user has a logon now (and a home dir), I'll need to route mail to the box's mqueue rather than to their v-pop folder ... I take it that this is an excercise beyond the scope of this discussion ...

Anyway - any ideas on how to let users pick/change their own passwords (FTP/mail)? Or is no one else doing this?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: n/a ... thus far

2. MEGA

MEGA Registered

i have the same problem my users they can`t change oru password

3. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Clarity is such a handy thing to work with, of which more is needed here.

If you are providing Hosting accounts with their own Cpanel, they can change PW themselves.

passwd << can (should) only be used by root, for root

4. nietzsche

nietzsche Registered

I have root on the box and have WHM access.

I farm out the box to a couple of sites, (xxx.net and yyy.net).

I would like xxx.net users (of which I am one) to be able to have a jailshell access to the box itself, as xxx.net is the principle account on the box, and why we got a dedicated box to begin with.

I would like xxx.net users to have the ability to change their own system-wide passwords (FTP, email, ssh).

cPanel is not able to allow for each user on the xxx.net box to change their password, hence the "simple" solution of passwd.

Passwd is not working in jailshell, hence my desire to get something that does work, or get passwd in jailshell fixed.

I do NOT want to give users (mods on xxx.net's forum - I'm an admin of xxx.net's forum) full (bash, csh, tcsh, sh) shells, as I want them to basically have enough autonomy to get in, change their password, and change their own file permissions.

So I'm not looking for the user xxx (of xxx.net) to be able to change their password via cPanel - they can do that (the admin team has the login), and that's fine. I'm looking for a tie-in with back-end accounts ON THE BOX itself.

Clear?

5. MEGA

MEGA Registered

i have cpanel wich other company and i can change password wich my user-cpanel i don`t know were i can enable the change passwords own users

is possible

6. caezar

caezar Registered

anybody found a solution?