The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to log server IP in exim main log

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by John, Jan 20, 2015.

1. John

John Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm sending mails using IP rotation in exim, I tried to log the server IP in exim log, using
    ==
    log_selector = +all
    ==

in exim conf, but it's not logging the server IP in exim main log

Is it possible to log server IP in exim log,

I'm trying to get the number of emails send from a particular IP?.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

This information is not visible in the Exim logs by default. Could you clarify the purpose of knowing which account IP address sends out the email? Would the domain name of the account be sufficient?

Thank you.

3. John

John Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've only hosted one domain in my cPanel sever and sending mails using four IP's.

The first mails send from first IP, second mail from second IP and so on, So I would like to know, how many mails are send from a particular IP.

Thank you,

4. Valetia

Valetia Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We would also like to know how to insert the mail server's sending IP into each log entry.

As you know, sometimes ISPs block IPs temporarily (or permanently) based on their own criteria.

Whilst rejection messages often include the mail server's sending IP, successful deliveries do not.

We need to compile the IPs in order to analyze our clients' needs and balance them out on the various IPs accordingly so as to minimize blacklisting and to build better email IP reputations.

This has become very important because some large providers have become more aggressive in blacklisting IPs, and are also being very cautious about newly used/reused IPs.

This means we need to slowly ramp up email traffic while analyzing them so we perform the necessary email IP balancing act.

Is there any way at all that we can insert the mail server's sending IP into each log entry?

P.S. Note that we are not asking for the account IP, nor is the OP. We are asking for the mail server's sending IP, which is typically derived for each domain from the entries listed in /etc/mailips.

We need the IPs in the logs so that we can better adjust the entries inside the /etc/mailips file to minimize blacklisting by balancing out the volume of outgoing email accordingly.

#4 Valetia, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't believe Exim is capable of logging that information, but you may want to double check with the Exim users mailing list to see if any workarounds are possible:

Exim-users Info Page

Thank you.