The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make an independant login for cpanel in a domain.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JSBurlison, Aug 24, 2010.

1. JSBurlison

JSBurlison Well-Known Member

Here is my rookie question.

I have a resellers account on a dedicated server. I do not actually resell but use the server myself.

I do everything with root access and always log into WHM and then go to cpanel as I have not learned how to do other things.

I tried to reset a password on one of the accounts and thought I would be able to log into it directly.

Lets call the user name "cat" When I tried to log into that cpanel account it would not let me use the username of cat but would let me log into it as root.

How to I get it to let me have a non-root log in of one of the cpanel accounts?

2. kuldeep_

kuldeep_ Well-Known Member

To access cpanel use URL: http://domainame.tld:2082 OR http://server-ip-address:2082 and then enter username and password. If you still face problem logging to cPanel then try resetting password again and check cPanel logs.

HTML:
    tail -f /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log

NOTE: replace domainame.tld and server-ip-address with your actual domain name and server ip address respectively.

3. JSBurlison

If this is just to get into an individual account on the server how would the IP-address work? There are multiple accounts on the server with the same IP?

I seem to still be having trouble with it. It will let me log in as root but not with the username.

4. JSBurlison

Which log should I try?

It seems I can only do things by going into whm first and only with root access.

5. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should be able to log in

In your example, if you have a cPanel account user named cat, you should be able to log into cPanel, using either http://ip_address:2082 or https://ip_address:2083, using the username cat and the password you set for that account in the WebHost Manager.

It does not matter if you use the domain name or the IP address to access cPanel. cPanel does not use this to determine which account you are trying to log into. It only uses the username.

What is the exact error that you are seeing when you try to log into cPanel as the account user?

/usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log logs all access to the WHM, cPanel and Webmail. /usr/local/cpanel/logs/login_log logs all log-ins to cPanel and the WHM. You should see an entry for your failed log-in attempt in both of these log files. Can you post these entries?

6. JSBurlison

I am looking at that path but don't see it.

Should I be looking down the left sidebar to get started on this path?

I probably need to find a manual.

#6 JSBurlison, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  7. JSBurlison

I checked with the hosting company and asked them how to find the log that showed failed log ins and they told me there was no such thing?

8. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If they told you that I would be scared :eek: its time to get a new host

you do not have root access so you can not view the log files that are suggested

so the people who gave some good advice I don't think they realized that you have a "RESELLER ACCOUNT" probably because you confused them with the word "ROOT"

edit but if you do have root access
    open a root SSH session and run the following commands

to view the files
    nano /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log
    nano /usr/local/cpanel/logs/login_log

to tail the files/logs
    tail -f /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log
    tail -f /usr/local/cpanel/logs/login_log

#8 dalem, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  9. JSBurlison

[​IMG]

This is always on the screen when I am logged in.

I am a novice but have a busy forum.

I need to learn what SSH is I suppose.

10. cPanelJared

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Reseller or root

That message means that you are logged in with either the reseller or the root password. They are not the same thing. Both the root user and a reseller user can log into the WebHost Manager, but root and reseller users do not have the same level of access.

I apologize if this is redundant, but when you log into the WebHost Manager, do you use the username root or some other username? If you do not log in with the username root, then you do not have root-level access and cannot access the logs we have mentioned.

It sounds like you have reseller access only (from the statement "I have a resellers account on a dedicated server.") What I think has prompted some confusion is that reseller accounts are created by the server's root user, so what wasn't clear was whether this was a reseller account you created yourself as root, or whether you simply have a reseller package purchased from a hosting company.

If you do not log into the WebHost Manager as root, you do not have root access and cannot view the logs we have mentioned. Simply seeing the message about being logged in with the root/reseller override does not mean you are logged in as root. The only thing that determines whether you are logged in as root is if you typed "root" in the username box when you logged into the WebHost Manager.

If you do log into the WHM as root, you do have root access and can view the logs from the shell command line using commands like cat or less. dalem provided some good tips for doing this.

11. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    that's why I made this statement your post confused me

12. JSBurlison

The hosting company says I do have root access on my dedicated server.

But having root access I guess does not mean I am looking in with root access I suppose but I think I am.

Is that any quick check I can do that will let me know if I am logged in with root access?

13. cPanelJared

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I apologize for the continued confusion.

"root" is a specific user on a Unix or Linux user. It is known as the "superuser", the user that has full rights and privileges to everything. The simplest way that I can frame the question is, what username are you entering when you log into the WebHost Manager? Is it "root" or some other username?

When you access the WebHost Manager via https://ip_address:2087 or https://yourdomain:2087 (or port 2086 instead of 2087; both are for the WHM), what are you typing into the "Username" box in the form that is shown in the image I attached? Are you typing the word "root" into the "Username" field?

Also, once you have logged into the WHM, near the top in the main pane, there will be a line like this:

Home News Change Log Secure Logout (root)

If you are not logged in as root, another word will be displayed (the reseller's username) instead of "root". If "root" is what is displayed, you have full root access to the server, and you can access the logs we have mentioned.

Have you created an account in the WebHost Manager, and made that account a reseller?

I apologize for the confusion that has resulted in this thread, but I am still trying to form a complete picture of how you are logging into the server, and what you have configured so far.

You may want to consider either submitting a ticket with us, or contacting your hosting company for assistance. It is difficult to guide you precisely in a forum without being able to log in directly and see exactly what you are seeing.

Attached Files:

14. JSBurlison

I log into it with root as the password.

15. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Is 'root' the USERNAME or the PASSWORD? DO NOT give out passwords on the forums. :)

If 'root' is NOT the USERNAME you're using, (if you don't type 'root') then you're NOT logging in as 'root'.

IF you use 'root' as your username, then you ARE logging in as the root user which has all powers and permissions.

Typically, if you have a dedicated server, that means you have complete control of the server just as if you owned it. In the cPanel world, a 'reseller' account is given to one or more people who 'sublease' space on that dedicated server.

So for instance, I own a computer in a datacenter, and I am the only person allowed to sell hosting accounts. I am the root user, and there are no resellers.

Now let's say I have another server on which I am the root user, but I have carved out half the machine for my use and the remaining half I allow you to sell to other people as you see fit. In this instance, YOU are the reseller, as you are 're-selling' what I sold you.

This, I think, is one source of confusion. You may have purchased a 'reseller' account from some hosting company, and this account is a dedicated server. They call it 'reselling' in their world, because you're reselling space on a server they own, but you operate 100% of the machine. So even though they might calling it reselling, in regards to cpanel/whm, you're not a reseller.

Clear or confusing? :D

16. JSBurlison

I am sorry.

Root is the username. I am using system generated passwords.

I have been using that root username for everything I do.

I am going to have other people doing some things so I was going to let them use a non-root account.

I go through the password process but it seems to never like the password for those accounts.

17. JSBurlison

Maybe the thing to do is for me to take some screen shots of what I am doing and maybe I am doing something wrong and not defining it properly.

18. JSBurlison

Well, I would have put some screen shots out here by now but it seems my server is down.