The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to make ftps account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by asimbaig, Aug 12, 2010.

1. asimbaig

asimbaig Member

I need to ftps account to upload backup data. But If I make normal ftp account from ftp then its not connecting. Also let me know what default port ftps use to connect.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    In your cpanel, find the FTP accounts icon and click, scroll down to the Account management area of the page and find the account in question. To the far left of that users name are several icons, click the one titled Configure FTP client.

On the bottom of the new page you should see the port number listed there for SFTP access. You will of course need to setup your FTP client to connect using SFTP as well.

3. donnythom

donnythom Member

To my knowledge, you can only connect to SFTP using the default FTP ( cPanel user / pass) account. I don't think any self-made FTP accounts will work with it.

That said, SFTP would use whatever port your host as setup to access ssh from. By default, it's 22.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You may wish to consider TLS rather than sFTP. TLS is available by default with cPanel in WHM > FTP Server Configuration at the top under "TLS Encryption Support" where it has "Optional" set.

TLS is actually more secure than sFTP as you do not need to provide a jailed shell to users in order to enable TLS. TLS would also be supported on all FTP user accounts even those you'd created in cPanel's FTP Accounts area.

Almost all modern FTP clients such as FileZilla have support for TLS. Please note that the type of TLS supported is FTPES - FTP over explicit TLS/SSL not FTPS - FTP over implicit TLS/SSL when configuring your FTP client.