The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to manage clients from within a reseller account..??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by angelleye, Nov 25, 2011.

1. angelleye

angelleye Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I just recently got a new server that has WHM/cPanel and I'm moving over from Plesk, so I'm trying to figure out how to do things now within this new control panel.

For the most part it's all pretty straight forward, but I'm a little bit confused on how to handle clients/domains/subdomains the way I want.

I Plesk, I would create a customer, and then within the customer I would create a subscription. The subscription seems to be the same thing as a WHM account as this is where I set quotas and what-not.

Then, within each subscription I could create as many addon-domains and subdomains as I wanted to and they would all be nicely grouped under that customer in Plesk. Each addon domain and subdomain, though, had their own root directory. They were not simply subfolders of the primary website.

With WHM/cPanel, it seems that the only way I can keep domains/subdomains completely separate from each other is to create separate accounts. I'm fine with that, but then they don't wind up nicely grouped for each of my clients. I end up with random accounts spread out all over that I'd have to cherry pick each one for a given client when necessary.

My server provider told me I could make my own account a reseller account and then create clients and manage their accounts from under that, but I'm not seeing anything about that in the documentation and I cant' find anything about it on Google (without purchasing an additional plugin, WHMCS.)

I was playing around with just setting the primary account for any client as a reseller, and then I could indeed group all of their accounts under their reseller/owner, but my server support told me that wasn't the correct way to do it. I wouldn't want to make somebody a reseller unless they were actually reselling for me, which makes sense, but I just don't see any other way.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you want addon and subdomains to have their own folder outside the main public_html, you can always have these set to use /home/username/subfolder, which is supported with WHM > Tweak Settings > public_html subdomains only [?] being set to "off"

When that is set to "Off", which is the default, it will allow you to change the home directory whenever an addon or subdomain is created so that it is not in public_html

Now, if the user is setting up the addon or subdomain, that user can select to either keep public_html/subdomain or remove that path and use subdomain instead, making the path /home/username/subdomain

Alternatively, if you want each to have their own account, they would have to have reseller rights to group all the accounts together for the same user provided you want to group the accounts.

3. angelleye

angelleye Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Thank you for the quick reply!

I simply wasn't aware that all I had to do was remove the public_html directory when I created the subdomain. Nice!

I had my accounts originally setup that way, where I just made the first account for my client a reseller account (whether they were actually reselling for me or not) so that I could group them, but my managed server people said I wouldn't want to do it that way and should do it a different way, but then just referred me here.

Sounds like I had it right. I appreciate your help!