The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to manage DNS outside cPanel

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by pva, Nov 9, 2005.

1. pva

pva Member

Hello,

Do you know any way, perhaps a third-party tool that would allow manage DNS records outside cPanel, so some of my clients could manage their DNS records themselves. Maybe there is an addon to cPanel like this? I've found one so far: http://www.4psa.com/products/4psadnsmanager.php

If you could recommend me one, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Peter Afonin

2. zionprophet

zionprophet Registered

Im not quite sure what you mean by manage the DNS themselves, do you supply the domain name for them ?

I know you can directly access the domain management tool at tucows/openSRS system, even if your name is registered by someone else, for .com/net/org names.

For example, I have names registered with 1 or two other registrars. And I have client names registered this way also, altho they 'think' that I am their registrar.

What I do to allow the clients access to DNS and their records is log-in to the Tucows system and create a Sub-User account for them, and then set the functions or areas which I want the sub-user(my client) to be allowed to access/ which includes allowing them access to the DNS. I then provide the client with the link as a masked link from my site, and provide them the sub-user details, which is always the same as their account username and password. The DNS function only allows them to change or modify DNS/Nameserver records. It does not allowm them to modify DNS zones, like A records etc.

You can directly access this at :

https://manage.opensrs.net

I'm not sure if this is what you have in mind. It certainly works great for my needs.

There was another software program I had before which interacted with WHM/Cpanel called neo-manage, but the product rights were bought over by another company (WHMAutopilot/OPEN Management Group LLC) , who had a similar product. They simply discontinued the Neo-Manager software and provided neo-manager clients with a free copy of their Auto-Pilot. Basically they just bought out the competition and dissolved the product!
    I'm not sure what the WHMAutopilot functions are, but you can check out their site and see if it offers anything with regards to the DNS functions.

Regards

#2 zionprophet, Nov 9, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  3. pva

pva Member

Thank you very much, I will.

Yes, I have a similar service setup with Directi. I saw this system at Tucows, sent them an e-mail, waiting for a week now for an answer. Are you a reseller there? I think they charge 0.25 per month per domain, at Directi I'm paying for Managed DNS 15 cents per year per domain!

If you are a reseller there - do you know if they have a multilingual interface? If not, is it possible to translate? I can do it, as long as they allow to do so. I need it in Russian.

But this time I just wanted to expand the possibility of cPanel and allow my customers to manage their DNS zones. Some control panels like Helm or Hosting controller have this functionality, cPanel doesn't.

Peter

4. Thaeke.com

Thaeke.com Member

Isn't there some way around this? I have the same problem here...