How to manually install WordPress on an addon domain in cPanel?

Dec 26, 2020
Durham
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I have a hosting account that I bought because the hosting plan lets me have several Addon Domains on this plan. So I have WordPress installed on the domain I opened up the account with, then I have WordPress installed on 2 additional Addon Domains on this one hosting account.

So I got a new domain, updated the nameservers to the hosting account, then added this new domain as an addon domain to the account. I've done this process on hundreds of sites.

The problem is, I go to Softaculous to install WordPress on the addon domain and I get this message: "WordPress cannot be installed in the Free version of Softaculous. Unlock Premium Features".

I thought, wtf? Because I already had 2 addon domains and installed WordPress on both, and they both worked fine, just like normal.

I talked to the hosting company and they said they don't support Softaculous but that I can add WordPress manually. I thought wtf because how did I install WordPress on the main domain I opened the account with, and the 2 addon domains? I've never manually installed WordPress.

I guess the hosting company wanted to stop paying for Softaculous or something. I don't know, all I know is that it doesn't work anymore.

Anyway, long way of saying, I have to manually install WordPress on an addon domain, and I've never manually installed WP.

I've found several step-by-step videos that show you exactly how to manually install WordPress on the root domain, but I haven't found anything that show you how to manually install WordPress on an addon domain.

Does anyone have any videos of how to manually install WordPress on an addon domain? Or any good step-by-step instructions on how to do this?

This problem is why I opened an account on this forum.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! The process wouldn't be any different for an addon domain. The only thing that would change is the document root you specify during the setup as you want to make sure you use /home/username/public_html/addon_directory_name. Other than that, the setup would be just like any other Wordpress installation.

Reactions: chester.cheesy
Dec 26, 2020
Durham
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hey there! The process wouldn't be any different for an addon domain. The only thing that would change is the document root you specify during the setup as you want to make sure you use /home/username/public_html/addon_directory_name. Other than that, the setup would be just like any other Wordpress installation.
Hi cPRex, thanks for this info.

I've been using this video: https://youtu.be/juDGqULzJYo, but it only shows how to install to the root, not the addon. I've been using this video, because I've never manually installed WP before.

At what step during the install do I tell cPanel or File Manager that I want to install on /home/username/public_html/addon_directory_name ? Do I do this after uploading a fresh WordPress, then during the Extract Files select /home/username/public_html/addon_directory_name?

Or do I select /home/username/public_html/addon_directory_name at a different step in the installation process?

Or do you happen to have a link to a video that shows exactly how to do this?

Thanks again

Dec 26, 2020
Durham
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
What usually takes me 2 minutes with Softaculous to install WordPress has taken me a month so far, and still unable to manually install WP on an addon domain. Really frustrating that my hosting company changed and stopped using Softaculous. I never realized how big of a deal Softaculous is until it was taken away.

Dec 26, 2020
Durham
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
They do have WordPress Toolkit. I've never heard of or used Toolkit, but I will google around and see if I can figure it out. I'm failing at the manual install, so I'll give Toolkit a shot.

Dec 26, 2020
Durham
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
The hosting company does have WordPress Toolkit and it seems like a simple straight foward process, nearly the same as Softaculous. But for some reason I can't get it to work. It looks like it installs just fine, but then when I go to the site or try to login, there is nothing there just a whitescreen that says, "Hmmm… can't reach this page."

It's weird because it looks like it creates the databases just fine. Everything looks fine, except when I go to the site, it's not there.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It sounds like there may be more happening behind the scenes if there are issues with both a manual installation and the Wordpress Toolkit software. You may want to reach out to your host to have them check things on their end and see if they can find some issues.