The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to move a cpanel hosting account without whm.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by learnos, Mar 14, 2007.

1. learnos

learnos Registered

I'm changing hosting companies and upgrading from a hosting account to a VPS server.

I was unable to connect to the old server in an attempt to move inside whm. So ran the backup home directory and downloaded it to my computer.

Then I went into cpanel and used restore to upload the home directory backup. Well that doesn't work. It places the uncompressed folder at the /user/ level.

So I called my new hosting company and they explained what I needed to do.

See the home directory backup is the full backup from /home/ and contains everything below that level for that users account.

In order to unpack it properly you have to use an ftp program that will access the ssh level. You can use Puttyftp but it's a command line program and frankly I had problems putting the file with it.

I switched to Filezilla set to access with ssh. Logged in as root and then uploaded the home directory file to /home/ directory of the new server.

Once it was uploaded I used putty to access shell with root as the user and typed the following command.

/scripts/restorepkg username

And that unpacked the files with all the proper permissions and the account is up and running.

Hod damn!

2. vinc_dc43

vinc_dc43 Well-Known Member

Restoring a Full Backup

Sounds good, thanks :)