The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to move a large DNS Only System (new IP & OS)

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by easyswiss, Jan 19, 2012.

1. easyswiss

easyswiss Active Member

Is there a step-by-step manual to move a nameserver without downtimes?

I need to do this before we transfer all of our accounts.

To this time:
    DNS Only Server 1 ns1.xyz.com -> IP 111.111.111.111
    DNS Only Server 2 ns2.xyz.com -> IP 111.111.112.111

New:
    DNS Only Server 1 ns1.xyz.com -> IP 333.333.333.333 (other Datacenter)
    DNS Only Server 2 ns2.xyz.com -> IP 333.333.334.333 (other Datacenter)

Best way to do this migration? :confused:

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

There are no automated tools or step-by-step manuals provided by cPanel. However, the following steps may be useful:

1) Consider reducing the Minimum TTL value in the DNS Zones a couple of days before starting the transfer. 3600 would be a reasonable value, and should help reduce the time it takes the changes to propagate. You can increase the values back to the default entires after your customers report that everything is working normally.

2) Install cPanel DNS-Only on the new servers.

3) Transfer the zones from the existing DNS-Only servers to the new DNS-Only servers. A quick way to achieve this would be to synchronize the zones from the existing server to it's respective new server.

4) The remote access hash on the new servers will have changed, so you will need to reconfigure the cluster. Configure the new servers in the same manner you configured the existing servers via "WHM >> Cluster/Remote Access >> Configure Cluster".

5) Change the name server IP addresses for your name servers at the domain registrar.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

3. easyswiss

easyswiss Active Member

Thank you, but
    How can i do this? With WHM i can only synchronize the records to the existing/old dns server (?)

And an other question, at point 2 if i use the "Directly linking the web server to the nameservers" structure.. is there a setting at the dns cluster configuration at the dns only server necessary? I think no, am i right?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You would browse to the following option within Web Host Manager of the existing DNS-Only servers:

"WHM >> Cluster/Remote Access >> Configure Cluster"

Use the "Add a new server to the cluster" option to add the new cPanel DNS-Only server, and configure the role to "Write Only". Remember to disable this if you choose to later delete the DNS Zones on this server.

This is not required if you select the "Setup Reverse Trust Relationship" option when configuring the cluster on the web server. The default role will be set to "Standalone", which is recommended.

Thank you.