The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to move a site with min downtime?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by neorder, Sep 8, 2003.

1. neorder

neorder Well-Known Member

with cpanel/whm:confused:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    this is my situation:
    i am running a forum on a reseller account, it came with cpanel/whm. so i also offered some free sub-domain hosting for my members, everything goes fine.

now the forum has grown a little big, and also used lots of BW, so i am thinking move my forum to lunarpages, since it looks like here we can have huge BW.

my questions
    1. will i experience very long downtime during switching? (sorry this is my first time moving host). 24-48 hours is sufficient?

2. i still want to keep those my members' sub-domain hosting on the original reseller account, from what i was told, i should create a A record, but i am not sure how to do it.

thanks a lot.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

your best bet would be to give your account login details to your new host. have them pull all of your data off your current server and then put up a moving sign on your old hosting account. change nameservers and you should be back online within 24 hours. using the cpanel move script within WHM (your host will have to do this) will pull all account info including, email addresses, subdomains, ftp accounts, etc. everyting.

3. neorder

neorder Well-Known Member

thanks, and how about this?

i still want to keep those my members' sub-domain hosting on the original reseller account, from what i was told, i should create a A record, but i am not sure how to do it.

4. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

In order to keep the subdomains only on your old reseller account while moving the 'main' domain elsewhere, then you will need to manually edit your DNS zone files (/var/named/domain.com.db) and have the main domain point to the IP on the new server and the subdomains should point to the old IP.