The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to move an entire website?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nontechie, Oct 29, 2009.

1. nontechie

nontechie Member

I'm moving my website to another host. Both my current and new hosts have cPanel, and I heard I can transfer the entire site between cPanels, but I'm not sure how to do this. Do I use the Backup? I can figure out the server name etc., but I don't know what my Port number or Remote Directory is, or where to find this information. Any help?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If you're a client and have no root access to WHM to use that feature yourself (assuming this is the case here), you could give your new host your old servers login details to your account, and he can move it for you. Or you could do a full account backup on the old server and get that backup to the new host to restore for you. He should know what to do with it from there.

HTH, good luck with the move!

3. nontechie

nontechie Member

Thank you.. so is this not something I can do on my own?

4. nontechie

nontechie Member

To clarify.. I have access to cPanel, but I don't know what WHM is.. or are they the same thing? Both cPanel version is 11.24.5.

I think I was able to create a full backup, but I'm not sure if I restored it correctly. I unzipped the backup, and restored the home directory homedir.tar file. (I didn't even know which file to restore) Did I do something wrong? Do I need to do anything else? My html pages seem to be there, but I have programs installed on my old host, such as Wordpress and PHPlist, and I don't know if I need to restore the SQL as well.

5. nontechie

nontechie Member

OK, so I guess I'll have to contact my host. Thanks.

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not without access to the WHM side of the server, no. cPanel side is for customers, WHM side for the host.

7. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Via a cPanel account you could definitely generate the full backup, and make that available to your new service provider, but the actual restore of a full account backup must be done via root (System Administrator) access.

It is possible to use a cPanel account to restore certain types of backups, such as an SQL database backup, backups of e-mail filters, e-mail aliases (forwarders), etc, but to restore a full account backup, this requires higher privileges, (e.g., root access via WHM or SSH), that are available usually only to the service provider.

Using WHM the new service provider could take advantage of the built-in transfer features and functionality to perform the transfer using your existing cPanel user account server address and login information, without requiring you to provide the full account backup. As a precaution I recommend to generate a full backup and save this on your local computer as it could help if your new service provider asks for it or if you need an extra backup copy later.

For more specific details of using the backup features in cPanel I recommend the following documentation resources:
    BackUps < AllDocumentation/CpanelDocs < TWiki
    BackupWizard < AllDocumentation/CpanelDocs < TWiki
    CpanelFiles < AllDocumentation/CpanelDocs < TWiki

8. nontechie

nontechie Member

So I'm not quite understanding the difference between restoring via Backup in cPanel and my host restoring via WHM?

9. nontechie

nontechie Member

Ok, thank you for all your help.

10. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    It is entirely possible to restore using partial backups of only certain components, like databases and e-mail filters and aliases, but restoring from a full account backup means you can ensure all data is retained properly and restored properly, without inadvertently missing anything.

A full account backup must be restored using either WHM or SSH, both while logged-in as root or with root-level privileges; it is not possible to restore a full account backup while logged-in as a normal user via cPanel. WHM is the area of the control panel used by resellers and root (System Administrators).

A full account backup may not be restored via a normal end-user logged into cPanel because it requires higher privileges (i.e., root access) to restore all data that is contained in a full account backup.

Restoring a full backup usually means this restore process will either (1) create the account from the full backup, or (2) replace an existing account from the full backup; both of these must be done while logged in as root or with root-level privileges.

11. nontechie

nontechie Member

I contacted my host and asked my site be transferred. The good news is they are able to do this, but they tell me that they need to terminate my current account in order to restore it. I don't understand why they need to do this? Is this true? Does this sound right and should I move forward?

It doesn't make sense to me, because there'll inevitably be some downtime until they restore it on the new host and the domain to be propagated. Should I just do this on my own?

12. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well, it sounds like they've setup your new account already on the new server not knowing you wanted to move from the old one? Not sure.

But, if the domain is still pointed to the old server yet, and they restore the account to the new server, the old server is still in use until you change the nameservers on your domain to point to the new one.

Depending on several factors the downtime might not be so bad. I've had .coms propagate in a hour or so.

If the domain is already pointed to the new server, you are in downtime right now I would expect as the site's still on the old server. Let them kill it and restore, you'll be up in less than an hour if the move goes ok.

13. nontechie

nontechie Member

Maybe I misunderstood what they said. If they need to terminate my new hosting account with this host and they need to set up a new one to transfer my site, then that's ok. I thought they were saying they need to terminate my existing account with my old host.

By the way, if they are able to transfer the whole site, I imagine all the programs such as Wordpress and PHPlist get moved as well? After the transfer, do I continue logging in to these programs at the same place and keep using them the same way?

14. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sounds about right. (you must have misunderstood the message)

There would be no reason, or way, for the them to terminate the account on your old host. If your old account is still up and working, it will continue to as long as the domain points to it. Your new account will not be accessible via the domain name during this time, only by IP if the new host allows this.

Yes, if all goes well, everything you know and love on the old account will be moved and placed properly for you. Once you've updated the domain to point to the new server, you'll be back to normal, as before. But on the new server.

BTW, most if not all of these questions should have been asked to and answered by the new host wanting your business. If they can't answer them, I'd be a bit concerned there.

My 2