The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to move mail from one inbox to another?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by spaceman, Oct 29, 2003.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I have a need to shift (move) all the mail in the inbox of one POP account into the inbox of another POP account on the server (same hosting account).

Assuming the inbox of the destination POP account is empty at the time (so there are no merge issues), is it just a simple case of, for example:

mv /home/companyname/mail/source/inbox /home/companyname/mail/destination/inbox/

And/or should I do this:

mv /home/companyname/mail/domain_name/source/inbox /home/companyname/mail/domain_name/destination/inbox/

Any other considerations?

Thanks v. much.

2. jdawes

jdawes Well-Known Member

i did this an i got mailbox lock errors

to be safe, download it all with pop 3 and then back up with imap, worked for me, took a while though for 1000 messages

3. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I'm trying to do this on behalf of a seriously technologically challenged client so that I don't have to talk him through over the phone the process of setting up a new mail account in Outlook Express. So if I can possible avoid downloading all the messages myself and then sending them, one at a time, back to the other POP account (that he is already checking)...

4. jdawes

jdawes Well-Known Member

even the most gumbiest of gumby can manage to get an account setup in outlook express. anyways, im sure there is another answer but when i had to do it it was somewhat of an emergency and that was the first solution that came to hand. perhaps someone else will know how to copy it properly.

5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I've moved mail from one inbox to another many times and never had a problem. Maybe the lock was because while it was moving, mail was also being written to it at the same time.