The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to move server's hostname to my shared ip address in WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hostmx, Sep 14, 2009.

1. hostmx

hostmx Registered

Jun 3, 2006
    I have a dedicated server, with no virtualization software at all.
    When I terminate a reseller account, the server suppose to free up 2 IP's assigned to that reseller, but when I try to reuse the same 2 IP's for a new reseller, I have a problem, one of the 2 IP's have my server host name, and in each of the other resellers accounts, also appear my server host name.

So, in order to fix this, I need to move my server's hostname to my shared IP address, but I don't know how to do it.

Sorry, but I'm a total newbie on this, although I own a hosting company, none of my technical staff are available, because they are busy solving other issues with clients with physical servers.

Thanks in advance.

Using: cPanel 11.24.5-S38506 - WHM 11.24.2 - X 3.9
    CENTOS 5.3 i686 standard on server
    #1 hostmx, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. MattCurry

MattCurry Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Hostname issues

In this particular case I would recommend changing your hostname, this should resolve your issue, however this can be complicated depending on whats installed. If you are not familiar with this situation I would recommend opening a ticket so we can take a look at it for you. The link is at the bottom of this post.

Thank you,
    Matthew Curry