The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to move website to another user

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gauravk, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Gauravk

Gauravk Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I need to move 1 website from existing account having 22 websites to new user account as i want to offer them access to Cpanel so that they can create their mailbox and size them every day and night w/o disturbing me.

Can anybody please advise me how it is possible?

Thanks in advance.

2. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I assume you are asking for the migration of addon domain as separate domain across new server. If it is so then you will have to do manual migration. For example create new account for addon domain that is on old server and upload it's data from old server through ftp. Similarly you need to restore databases from phpmyadmin or any MySQL GUI like sqlyog etc.

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Depending on how involved the account is setup, it might be pretty easy. Right now there is no way to do this with tools provided by cPanel, although there is one on the horizon.

For example if its just a directory with a simple HTML based site, a few email accounts that do not leave any mail on server, and the account has no databases you could compress/backup that addon domain directory right from the File Manager and download it for safe keeping. Kill the email accounts and then kill the addon domain.

Then create the new account via WHM normally, upload that backup of the addon's home directory and unpack inside public_html of the new account. Recreate the email account(s) as needed and you're off to the races.

Sounds like they leave mail on the server though, by your post. There's multiple threads about moving email here on the forums you can find I think that you should be helpful if needed.

If they had for example a wordpress site on the account, it has a database. So you'd still backup the directory as above, but you'll also want to download a backup of the database itself.

cPanel > Files section > Backups > Download a MySQL backup. Click the correct database and download from here.

Same as above, create the new account, upload and unpack home directory of addon. Depending on the actual file size of the database you could restore it from the same area you downloaded it from, on the new account of course, but if its large you'll need to restore via command line. If you try and restore it, be sure the database is already created on the new account first to restore to. The new account will have a new username as well. So, the config file for the wordpress in my example, will need the database details edited so the wordpress can speak to the database.

Not sure if you need all that, but should get you going. GL!

#3 Infopro, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
  4. Gauravk

Gauravk Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes guys manual option is always possible, as i created them so i can re create them too. But its a shame that we have to do all this over and over again.

This domain have 2 mb website and 20 super active email accounts having gazillions emails. And i need to move this addon domain from my main cpanel account to separate cpanel account in same server with new userid. My concern is:

-> How i can create there mailboxes and keep same password and setting? Cant ask 20 guys to change pw.
    -> How can i migrate there all the emails back into new account?

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you create the email accounts for the new account, you can then copy the following files to get the same passwords and emails:

/home/oldusername/etc/addondomain.com/
    /home/oldusername/mail/addondomain.com/

The etc folder will contain the users and passwords for those users, while the mail folder will contain the emails for those users. Please replace oldusername with the username for the old account (the one where the domain is an addon domain), and please replace addondomain.com with the name of the addon domain.

You'd copy these into the new account for /home/newusername/etc/domain.com and /home/newusername/mail/domain.com where newusername is the addon domain's new account username, and domain.com is that addon domain's name on the new account.