The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to only backup some accounts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tkoweb, Oct 15, 2003.

1. tkoweb

tkoweb Active Member

How do I have whm only backup a certain group of accounts? can this be tweaked somewhere easily? I want to provide daily backups only to my business paying customers, and let users do their own backups on non-critical accounts on the same server.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. genxtek

genxtek Member

Although not the fix you are looking for... you could login to their Cpanel and do the backup for them. Just use their user ID and use the root password and you can get it.

Of course you could setup a cron job to tar a set of directories and then FTP or Secure Copy (SCP) the files to another server.

Either way will work.

3. tkoweb

tkoweb Active Member

I'm thinking maybe I can edit the pkgacct script (or cpbackup script) to check the domains against a flat file list.. and then only proceed upon finding the domain in the text file. Any script wizards want to help with that? :)

Also, the above response wasn't what I was looking for, but I am glad to learn that the root password will get you into your customers' cpanels. I assumed you had to use their passwords.

-ken

4. christi1

christi1 Well-Known Member

*bump*

Did you ever figure out selective backups? I'm very interested in this also.

5. tkoweb

tkoweb Active Member

Haven't found any help yet.. :( but I have a new coder working on some things, I'll have him look into pkgacct/cpbackup.

Worst case is i turn off whm backup and run a cron pkgacct on all accounts in one home directory, and move the non-backup accounts to a /home2 or different home dir.