Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to only backup to Google Drive?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by user570, Sep 1, 2017.

1. user570

user570 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

My disk is full and I want my backups only to be uploaded to Google Drive, not local.
    Is this possible and how? And will old backups be transferd to the cloud?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can uncheck the "Retain backups in the default backup directory." option in "WHM >> Backup Configuration" to ensure that backups are not stored on the local server. However, keep in mind you will still need space on the local server because the backups must generate temporarily before they are sent to the remote destination. This is documented at:

Backup Configuration - Version 66 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Existing backups stored on the local server are not transferred to the remote destination.

Thank you.

3. DennisMidjord

DennisMidjord Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are accounts backed up one after one and thus sent to the remote server one at a time, or is everything backup up and then sent to the remote server all at once?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The backup archives for each account are first generated on the cPanel server and individually queued for transport to the remote destination. The archives are not pruned from the cPanel server until the transport succeeds. Thus, it's possible for multiple archives to exist on the cPanel server if they generate faster than the transportation process. I encourage you to vote for the following feature request if you'd like to see an option to only process one account at a time:

Remote FTP in the new backup system should pack and upload one file at a time

Thank you.