The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to organize files for subdomains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by radar9628, Feb 21, 2008.

1. radar9628

radar9628 Registered

Greetings!
    I am using cPanel version 11. I need to have a couple different versions of an online survey depending on who I have complete it. I need to send each different group a link that brings them DIRECTLY to their specific online survey. Since I'm at the Kindergarten level of using cPanel File Manager, I don't know what I need to do. Currently my 'general' survey is sitting in Public.html/index.html. But I really need to have a unique path (file? subdomain?) for each version I create. Let's call survey version 1 'General', version 2 'nawboDET' and version 3 'nawboLA'. I can create a unique survey for each group/version. I figure I need to park each unique version in an appropriate file in the File Manager, or maybe the subdomain is an easier route.

If you respond, assume I am an IDIOT. I need step by step instructions with no assumptions that I know anything.

I did view the cPanel documentation, but they lost me. The words they were using did not match what I was seeing in cPanel version 11.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Your host is the one to be asking, or google even, but not here. That's not what this forum is for.

To answer your question though, inside your /public_html/ you have an index.html that can be your landing page of sorts, and then create directories inside /public_html/ as needed. Like:
    yourdomain.com/index.html (hello world)
    yourdomain.com/general/index.html
    yourdomain.com/special/index.html
    yourdomain.com/private/index.html

(just be sure to keep an index.html or index.php in every directory)

Creating subdomains for all of these is eactly the same thing in that it creates these same directories. Unless you have to have sub.domains I'd suggest just creating directories.

Good luck.

3. radar9628

radar9628 Registered

Thanks Keanu

You just never know who you'll find in forums!! :D

I'll use your directions and let you know what happens.
    P.

4. radar9628

radar9628 Registered

I got it!

Hey InfoPro,
    After reading your response a bunch of times, it finally sunk in. I also paid attention to the cPanel instructions inside File Manager and finally saw what I needed to do. Thanks for your help.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You're certainly welcome. Any good host could have helped you with this though, that's what you pay them for. Might be time to find a new one if yours isn't able or willing to.

Good luck.

6. radar9628

radar9628 Registered

I'll call them in the future

I guess I didn't understand that a cPanel issue was in fact a host issue. I do now!