The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to point a parked domain to an addon domain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carl Janssen, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Carl Janssen

Carl Janssen Registered

Hi,

When I add a parked domain, it seems like it's always pointing to the main account. How can I let it point to an addon domain?

In detail: the domain main.com is my main domain and linked to my account. I add an addon domain called addon1.com. Now I have some more domains addon2.com and addon3.com which have to point to the addon domain addon1.com. If I add them as a parked domain (which sounds logical), they point to main.com by default. I can't find an option where I can say they should point to addon1.com instead of main.com.

What seems to work is to add all the domains as addon domains and let them point to the same directory, but that isn't really a solution as many hosts only allow a limited number of addon domains, while the number of parked domains is often unlimited.

So, how can I point a domain to an addon domain instead of the main domain?

2. ecwebtechie

ecwebtechie Well-Known Member

hmm, I think this is a good request.. you can post this as a request to cpanel.

Current cpanel version wont allow you to choose a domain on top which you can add a parked domain.

one or few site you can make the change in the webserver settings or add some rules in to .htaccess

Place your feature request
    http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/

3. Carl Janssen

Carl Janssen Registered

Well yes, I tried some Apache rewrite rules (that's when the domains are added as parked domains of course), but the problem is Apache redirects the user. So if I give something like:

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^addon2.com$ [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.addon2.com$
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.addon1.com/$1 [L]

Now when the user goes to addon2.com, he gets redirected to addon1.com and thus sees addon1.com in his addressbar instead of addon2.com. And that is completely out of the question. :-(

Will post this thing in the feature section.

#3 Carl Janssen, Sep 2, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  4. mooony

mooony Well-Known Member

You need to park it on the subdomain that was created when when you did addon domain.

After that it works becuase addon domain gets parked on the subdomain.

Ronald

5. Carl Janssen

Carl Janssen Registered

And how should I be able to do that? ;-)

There are no extra options in the parked domains section of cPanel. The only thing you can do is enter the domain name and hit the "Add domain!" button...

6. Murtaza_t

Murtaza_t Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Yes that would be possible... If you have access to WHM..

From MAIN >> DNS Functions >> Park a Domain

Good head mooony.. (if that works ;) )

7. EMS

EMS BANNED

This isnt a great solution because when you park a domain onto a users addon from within WHM, it shows up in his cpanel as an addon domain, taking up an available addon from his account.

Why doesnt cpanel have the ability for the customer to park onto addons ? This really needs addressing!