The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to pre-install CPanel behind a NAT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chall, Mar 14, 2005.

1. chall

chall Registered

I'm trying to sort of pre-install Cpanel at home before moving the Linux PC to our ISP. But of course, at home I'm behind a NAT and have been given a dynamic IP by my cable company.

How far can I get in the install here? Or if I plop the box with Redhat on it at my ISP can I get through the CPanel install without being there in person to reboot or something? I'm also a little scared my new Redhat install will be hacked before I have time to get back home and SSH in to start the Cpanel install. (No joke.)

Has anyone tried this? Pre-installing CPanel prior to getting your real IP?

Thanks.

2. Xenon101

Xenon101 Well-Known Member

When you co-lo your box and get your ip, no-one except you will know the new ip and the chances of getting hacked imho are exceptionally low! If you are really worried then setup a firewall meantime and only allow port 22. You are also unlikely to get hacked if your root password is secure enough, so choose a good one.

As far as "pre-installation" goes, there isn't really that much of a point. You can complete install at home without having an external ip it just wont work if you try to setup whm because you need the license server to have external ip.

And as for reboots, there are no reboots required when installing cPanel/whm. Even if you had to you could reboot via ssh/telnet with 'reboot'.

Hope that's some help :)