The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to prevent cPanel web access login

Discussion in 'Security' started by lblanchardiii, Oct 21, 2011.

1. lblanchardiii

lblanchardiii Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2005
    How can I turn off the web access/control panel for cPanel but still allow users to login through FTP?

Reason why I ask is because I host a some what public FTP server where users can upload files that are related to a game. I setup the account through cPanel and have the directories disabled so if a user tries to connect to the site via http it will just show a permission denied. However, they can use the username/password and login to the cpanel control panel if they know the link, which isn't hard to figure out. So how can I disable it?
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

May 20, 2003
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should never be using the cPanel login for something like this. Create and addon FTP account instead. Users will login to it with whatever name you choose. Like, for example. On login they only have access to that exact directory you give the addon FTP account on creation.

They can poke your cPanel login all day and won't get in with the addon FT users login details.

You should change your cPanel password to something very strong as well.