The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Prevent Reverse IP showing list of your hosted domains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mohit, Jun 4, 2006.

1. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

hi,
    is there anyway to stop people getting a list of hosted domain on your IP doing a reverse IP lookup.

regards,
    mohit

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

How would they? You should only have one rDNS PTR record per IP address anyway. If you don't want the rDNS PTR record to point to separate domains, just use subdomains for each one off of a main domain.

3. neonix

neonix Well-Known Member

4. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

This must be the result of a proxy cache or something similar as it only shows 18 domains as being on a box that has about 100 on it

5. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

hi,
    yes i asked about this only but you shouldn't place anybody's IP here.

anyway update me if you find a way out, there are people who are able to do it, and their main server IP doesn't disclose more than 2-3 sites but they host 500+ domains.

one of my reseller is bugging my customers and i would like to hide this info before i sue his happiness.

see ya,
    mohit

6. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    They're closely associated with DirectI so they probably have access to the raw whois information. I think it works by looking at the nameservers for each domain then working out the IPs from that. It can be very accurate sometimes and wildly inaccurate at others. For instance, on one of my boxes with 500+ domains it knows about 300 of them. However, whatever could be done to make it harder for this to function would be good, we like our privacy. Particularly if girlswithlargepythons.com ends up on the same box as thomasthetankengine.com. :)

7. bmcgrail

bmcgrail Well-Known Member

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Indeed, there's nothing at all you can do about it. It' not really accurate to call it reverse DNS as that has a technical meaning that is different from this.

These are just basically data miners using caching or whois abuse to trawl domains and are notriously inaccurate and incorrect. The example of my domain and IP is an example in point. It's off by several factors.

My advice would be to ignore them, the information is next to useless and there's nothing you can do about it.

9. bhd

bhd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Indeed! What I find so intriguing is that these type of sites usually go with a "patented technology pending" notice to entice the unknowing into believing they are absolutely correct when they are anything but accurate.

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yup. There have been cases that Nominet in the UK have persued against these data miners which often break international copyright laws in the way that they abuse whois. It's one reason why there's a rethink ongoing on how whois data is made available.