The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to push emails?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Lindsayanng, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Lindsayanng

Lindsayanng Member

PLEASE forgive me. I am very new to this whole server thing. I just got my own server and while the guy who is managing it for me is great, there are some answers that i need that I can't get.

I know very little about how the mail system works with my server and cpanel. I do know that i would LIKE to have email pushed out from the server to my mail apps (on the iphone and apple mail)

I have no idea how to achieve this.. Are there any articles explaining this? Like i said, I do not know too much about it. All i know is that when i google "webmail push" or "cpanel push email" i get a whole lot of NOTHING!!

So how do i set up email so that it automatically pushes a brand new email out to the applications?? And is this something that I can make as an added feature to my web host clients?

I really only host the people whos websites I have built, so i do not really reselll hosting.. just an added feature that would be nice to offer to peole as an addon.

2. thewebhostingdi

thewebhostingdi Well-Known Member

You will have to configure your email accounts in your application tool to fetch the email from the server. May I know what email application tool are you using to fetch emails?

3. Lindsayanng

Lindsayanng Member

I know you can configure it to fetch the emails at intervals (i use the iphone AND apple mail) but both support PUSH email. I have read about creating PUSH email using IMAP options like IDLE IMAP which maintains a connections with the client and just pushes through the email in real time.. i would just like to knowhow this would work. How to set up something like this.

For instance google's gmail servers (which is IMAP) pushes the emails to the mail client instantly.. so when it shows up in google's servers, it is instantly sent to my iphone

4. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are using the Dovecot mail server it should support IDLE by default.

5. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    What sawbuck posted is correct; IMAP IDLE can be used provided that both the mail client and mail server support it, and if using Dovecot (as configured via WHM Mail Server Selection) the only remaining requirement is to ensure the mail client software application also supports IMAP IDLE.

Please note, however, that IMAP IDLE is not the same as the Apple Push Notification service.

6. casey

casey Well-Known Member