The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to recreate users domain mail folder ?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by nyjimbo, Mar 5, 2007.

1. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Today a client tells me he was fooling around with his mail settings and now everything is screwed up. Gets all kinds of file not found errors, cant open file stuff, etc..

I look in his file structure and his mail folder "/home/user/mail" is totally gone. So I try to reload the folder from previos backups ( up to 4 weeks back) and there is no folder in them either.

Bottom line, he deleted the folder a while back, probably was embarrassed and didnt bring it up and now he needs it back.

Can you re-create the mail folder from scratch without having to rip out and rebuild the whole website?. The guy has too much web, database and forum crap so I was hoping to just
    rebuild the email folder, etc.. So far nothing we do in his control panel does this for us.

:mad: Users shouldnt tinker with things they dont understand.

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Argghhh, thats what I figured. I will create a dummy and then CP the structure to the current user and then chmod/chown it relative to an existing account. Thanks for the info.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You would have to do it by hand by comparing the structure to an existing account and setting the correct file ownerships. They would then have to recreate any mail accounts that they want.

4. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

You should be able to create the directories you need by looking at another client and duplicate the same directory names and permissions and of course set the ownership.

I am not sure about this option but how about creating a backup of what you have now and use the recreate option for the restore. I would assume that would build everything they need first and then inject their files. If thats the case, then it may build the accounts they had as well.

just a thought..