The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to redirect website?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ljwhite, May 20, 2006.

1. ljwhite

ljwhite Well-Known Member

Now i want to redirect a.com to b.com. What shall i do in cpanel? Many thanks in advance!

2. RiderXXX

RiderXXX Registered

If you want to forward a.com to b.com (and b.com is already on YOUR server), you can simply Park domain a.com in WHM.

Otherwise, i think you have to add an account with a html page that forwards it.

I created a subdomain under my own domain (forward.domainname.nl) and put all the domains that have to be forwarded as a parking domain to forward.domainname.nl. Then that PHP (and MySQL) script on forward.* checks what domain the person is coming from and send it to the website that is in the mysql row.

Hope that helps. If you want some further help with MySQL or PHP, let me know.

3. ljwhite

Thanks for your help! But it seems a little bit complicated. I see there is an option called "Redirects" in Cpanel. Can i use this function to do?

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

In cPanel it's called parked domains.

5. GnomeyNewt

GnomeyNewt Active Member

You only want to use redirect option if you want to forward your main domain, addon domain, or parked domain to another location.

Use the parked domain option to point a new domain name to your main website.

6. ljwhite

Thanks for your help. In my case, i think i will use "Redirects" option. But when i use it, i find there are two options: temporary/permanent. What is the difference between them? I am not sure which one i should use.

7. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Explanation from cPanel documentation :-

Temporary - This tells Internet traffic agents (browsers, search engines, etc.) that this is only a temporary redirection, and that they should return to this initial location again in the future for the same page.

Permanent - This tells the Internet traffic agents to go to the redirection address in the future, as the old address will never be used again.

8. ljwhite

Thanks! But if i use "temporary" redirect, when will it change back to the initial one?