The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Reject email to one recipient address?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by shw, Dec 28, 2006.

1. shw

shw Active Member

I have a situation where the good ol' spammers are forging the "From:" field as I can see multiple emails (NDRs) going to a fake address on one domain. Normally this wouldn't matter because that user doesn't exist on the server but for this domain I have MailScanner/Exim scanning these emails prior to delivering to an outside mail server so Exim doesn't know if the person exists or not.

Is there a way I can put certain addresses into the Exim config to Block/Delete any emails coming in addressed to one name@domain.com? I do not want the server's resources used by MailScanner scanning these emails.

Thanks for any assistance.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The simplest way would probably be to simply create a Forwarder in the cPanel account for that address and set it to forward to :fail: - then any email to that address will simply be denied by exim before it gets passed on.

3. shw

shw Active Member

Please excuse my ignorance but how do I do this? Keep in mind that this domain is not "local" and all email just simply scanned then forwarded to another server (Exchange to be exact) in a different region. So there is no actual login (or account) for this domain.

Thanks again.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Ah! What I suggested won't work then - sorry. It should be simple enough using an ACL, I'll see if I can dredge up the syntax.

5. shw

shw Active Member

Cool...appreciate any help. I was glancing through the Exim docs but I can't seem to get it down completely and I'm also a little worried to mess with the Exim config without some direction as it's a live server.

6. shw

shw Active Member

Bump..

Chirpy, anything on this? I still cannot put this ACL together. I really appreciate your help on this if it can be done.

Thanks again.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You could probably do something like this. Add the code to the system_filter file /etc/antivirus.exim:

Code:
    if "$h_to:" is name@domain.com
    then
       fail
    endif  

8. NaveenKapur

NaveenKapur Member

Limiting an outgoing mail

Cool : Now if there is a customer I did not like to send mails more than x limit per hour and not disturb the rest of the defualt settings for other domains.
    What I mean is, there is a customer of mine who keeps sending his promo letters and that disturbs my mail relays since i have very limited from my VPS provider.
    I want to limit that Particular domain to sending only 20 Maybe emails.;)
    But at the same time, I do not want the rest of the domains have any change in the defualt settings which I have turned to 100 /hour.

Any suggestions ???
    By the way, nice job done with my VPS Chirpy, I really see the difference. :)

#8 NaveenKapur, Mar 11, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2007